Thank you for your interest in the Los Angeles Police Department.  In a
continued effort to form a partnership with the community and the
Department, I will be sending you a monthly update on Department issues and
events.  I hope you find the information useful.  I encourage you to
continue to visit our website at www.LAPDOnline.org as it has grown to over
6,000 pages since its inception in 1998.

If you would like to unsubscribe to this newsletter please visit the
subscription page at http://www.lacity.org/lapd/lapd.htm

LUPUS RACE FOR LIFE

The Los Angeles Police Department along with many other public safety
agencies is supporting the Lupus Race for Life, scheduled for Sunday,
October 22, 2000, at Woodley Park in Van Nuys.  All proceeds benefit the
Southern California Lupus Foundation.

LUPUS is a chronic autoimmune disease that is more prevalent than AIDS,
Sickle-cell anemia, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis and cystic fibrosis
combined! LUPUS affects
1 out of every 185 Americans.

Come out on October 22nd and help the Southern California Lupus Foundation
run/walk their way for added research to find the cure for the over 2
million people diagnosed with LUPUS.  To register call (888) 532-2322.

HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS

Our Crime Prevention Unit has compiled a list of Halloween safety tips that
are valuable for you and your children.  We hope you take the time to read
over these safety tips and apply them when you take the children
trick-or-treating.

1.      Children should trick-or-treat during the daytime.
2.      Children should never be allowed to go out alone on Halloween.
3.      Children should never eat any treats until they have been examined.
4.      Never invite children into your home.
5.      Children should never accept rides from strangers.
6.      Children should never take shortcuts through backyards and alleys.
7.      Adult escorts should carry flashlights.
8.      Don't leave your home unattended on Halloween night.
9.      Children should always use sidewalks, not the street, for walking.
10.     All costumes should be made of light-colored, fireproof material.

On behalf of the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department, I wish
you a fun-filled and safe Halloween.

BERNARD C. PARKS
CHIEF OF POLICE