Thank you for your interest in the Los Angeles Police Department.  The
following is the monthly update for December. I hope you find the
information useful.  I encourage you to continue to visit our Web site at
www.LAPDOnline.org as it has grown to over 6,000 pages since its inception
in 1998.

CHIEF OF POLICE COMMUNITY HOLIDAY CELEBRATION

Preparations are now being made for the Annual Community Holiday
Celebration taking place this year on December 16, at the Downtown Marriott
Hotel.  We had an outstanding turn out last year with over 300 people in
attendance.  This year we are planning for 500 attendees.  The price per
ticket is $45 and includes dinner, a holiday portrait, an artist's
caricature, and self-parking.  The evening will also feature live music,
entertainment and dancing.  The social hour begins at 5:30 p.m. with dinner
served at 7:00 p.m.  If you would like to join us in celebrating the
season, please contact the Public Affairs Unit at (213) 485-3281 for ticket
information.  I hope to see you there.

DECEMBER SAFETY TIPS  HOLIDAY SAFETY

The Los Angeles Police Department wants everyone to have a secure and happy
holiday season by taking a minute from the rush to read and apply the
following Holiday crime prevention measures.

While Shopping -

*  Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay
alert to your surroundings.  Avoid shopping after dark or alone;

*  Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.  Pay for purchases with a check or
credit card;
If you must carry cash, keep it in your front pocket;

*  Be extra careful if you carry a wallet or purse.  They are the prime
targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, transportation terminals,
bus stops, and on rapid transit systems;

*  Avoid overloading yourself with packages.  It is important to have clear
visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps; and

*  Do not leave packages on the seat of your car.  This creates an
unnecessary temptation for thieves.

At Home -

*  Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house;

*  When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member
watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail;

*  Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.  Leave a
radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied;

*  Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the
windows and doors;

*  Be aware that criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts; and

*  It is not uncommon for criminals to solicit donations door-to-door for
charitable causes although no charity is involved.  Ask for their
identification, and find out how the donated funds will be used.  If you
are not satisfied, do not donate.

At Parties and Events -

*  Find alternative transportation for intoxicated guests.

*  Arrange for a designated driver who will not drink at all; and

*  Never drink and drive.

On behalf of the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department, I wish
you a happy and safe holiday season with many blessings for the New Year.

BERNARD C. PARKS
CHIEF OF POLICE