The following is the monthly update for March 2002.  I hope you find the
information useful.  I encourage you to continue to visit our Web site at
www.LAPDOnline.org as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since its inception
in 1998.

OPERATIONS – VALLEY BUREAU TOWN HALL MEETING

This Town Hall Meeting will bring people from the Devonshire, Foothill,
North Hollywood, Van Nuys, and West Valleys Areas together with local
government to discuss community concerns.  I will be in attendance along
with the Commanding Officers from Valley Bureau Community Police Stations,
and other police and City officials.  This is the forum for community input
and a vital component of the community/police partnership.

The Town Hall Meeting will be held on Thursday, March 28, 2002 at 6:00 p.m.
at Reseda High School Auditorium, 18300 Kittridge Street, Reseda.  Please
join us.

LAPD CENTURIONS FOOTBALL

The LAPD Centurions Football team, formed in 1978, is made up entirely of
Los Angeles police officers who play and practice on their own time to be
part of the team.  In 2001, the team won the Nation Public Safety Football
League Championship defeating the Gunners from the Houston, Texas Police
Department.

The LAPD Centurions play football for kids, as all proceeds from the season
go to support the Blind Children’s Center of Los Angeles.  We invite you to
come out and support our football team and the Blind Children’s Center at
our next game as we play against the Dallas/Ft. Worth Panthers, Saturday,
March 23 at 2:00 p.m. at Serra High School, 14830 S. Van Ness Avenue in
Gardena.

LAPD ARCHIVES PHOTO GALLERY SHOW

The Department is continuing to coordinate the touring photo gallery show
titled “LAPD - 100 Years of Photography” featuring law enforcement and
crime scene photographs from LAPD photo archives.  The gallery show will
travel to all Community Police Stations and various City landmarks. The Los
Angeles Police Federal Credit Union is sponsoring this traveling exhibit.
The public is invited to attend the show to view these historic photographs.

The March show schedule continues at West Traffic Division at Operations-
West Bureau through March 3 and moves to Hollenbeck Community Police
Station on March 4.  The show moves to Central Community Police Station on
March 11, to Newton Community Police Station beginning March 18, and to
Southwest Community Police Station beginning on March 25.  Additional dates
and locations will be published in April 2002.

MARCH SAFETY TIPS – REAL ESTATE FRAUD

Real estate schemes, scams, and fraud all constitute a form of theft which
criminals use to steal your home or real property.   Adhering to the
principle that a person’s home is their castle, this is possibly the most
devastating form of victimization.  Real estate fraud can take many forms.
Con artists may use several methods to swindle you in a real estate fraud
scheme.  Here are a few forms in which real estate fraud may be performed.

*  Foreclosure Bailout - Victims of this type of real estate fraud are
generally homeowners who have negative equity, also known as being “upside-
down” and/or owe more money on their home’s mortgage than the home is worth.

*  Home Equity and Home Renovation Fraud - Victims are frequently asked to
sign blank contracts or contracts that they were not allowed to read before
signing.  Later, the homeowner discovers that they signed a contract that
contains terms in contrast to the originally promised terms.  This results
in the loss of equity in the victim’s home, and also they have signed a
mortgage in which they have incurred considerably higher interest rates.

*  Rental Fraud - Con artists will rent out a home they do not own.  They
will locate a vacant or abandoned home, enter, change the locks, and then
advertise the property for rent.  The victim rents the property from the
con artist, who collects a security deposit and rent from the victim, and
then disappears.  The victim, who rented the property, is then evicted by
the lawful owner and subsequently loses their place to live along with the
money they paid for the security deposit and rent.

Some swindlers deliberately seek out families that may have limited means
or are experiencing financial difficulties, figuring such persons may be
particularly receptive to a proposal that offers fast and large profits.
Your first step as a victim should be to report the incident to your local
police department.

For additional information or to obtain a copy of crime prevention
circulars, contact the Community Liaison/Crime Prevention Unit, at (213)
485-3134, or visit our Web site at www.lapdonline.org, and open the “Crime
Prevention Tips” icon.

BERNARD C. PARKS
Chief of Police