List Serve Message - January 2003
www.LAPDOnline.org

Happy New Year from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.  We
hope all of your holiday celebrations were safe and blessed with joy and happiness.

The following is the monthly update for January 2003.  I hope you find the information
useful.  I encourage you to continue to visit our Web site at www.LAPDOnline.org as it
has grown to over 10,000 pages since its inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

Over the next few months, I will continue to search the Department for the best and
brightest, putting together an extraordinary team that will lead the LAPD for years to
come. This significant reorganization with its new leadership will make Los Angeles the
safest in the nation.

In early December, I announced three command staff promotions: Commander Earl C.
Paysinger, the former Commanding Officer of Employee Relations Group, became
Deputy Chief assigned to Operations - South Bureau.  Much responsibility will rest on
his shoulders as this area historically has had more than its share of homicides and
serious crimes.

Captain Michael R. Hillmann, the former Commanding Officer of Air Support Division,
was promoted to Deputy Chief.  Working with Deputy Chief Paysinger, he will help
implement strategies to combat gang violence in the southern areas of the City. Police
Administrator II Laura H. Johnson, the former Commanding Officer of Support Services
Group, promoted to Police Administrator III, and is assigned as the Commanding Officer,
Fiscal and Support Bureau.  She will coordinate and manage the Department’s budget,
payroll, facilities and oversee Fiscal Operations Division, Facilities Management
Division, and Support Services Group.

These three outstanding individuals have worked hard for the Department and the City
and have been promoted because of their extraordinary efforts.  More promotions to the
rank of Captain, Commander, Deputy Chief and Assistant Chief will be forthcoming.
These promotions are consistent with the Department’s tradition of promoting those most
qualified to positions of increased responsibilities within the organization.

After meeting with U.S. Attorney Debra W. Yang, the Department will be working in
partnership with federal law enforcement agencies in aggressively targeting and
damaging the infrastructure of criminal gang organizations.  Being better coordinated is
key to obtaining results in filing federal felony charges against the individuals and groups
who negatively impact the quality of life in our communities.  I will be traveling with
Mayor Hahn to Washington, D.C. in January to lobby the federal government for
additional resources to deal with gang violence.

In an effort to increase the number of police officers on the street, proposals have been
submitted to the Police Commission that seek to increase the recruitment of female
officers, and allow enhancements to the Department’s current recruitment and training
policies.  This would provide opportunities for applicants to improve their physical
fitness prior to entering the Police Academy, and would implement mentoring programs
during their academy and probation period.

As we begin the New Year, rest assured the best is yet to come.  The men and women of
the LAPD are working diligently to help restore this Department’s reputation as the finest
police organization in the world.  I’m looking forward to a great year with this great
Department.

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1