List Serve Message - March 2003
www.LAPDOnline.org

The following is the monthly update for March 2003.  I hope you find the information
useful.  I encourage you to continue to visit our Web site at www.LAPDOnline.org as it
has grown to over 10,000 pages since its inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

The 2003 Staff Officers’ Annual Retreat (SOAR) provided a vibrant and healthy
discussion about the future of the LAPD and exceeded my expectations.  The
participants, including for the first time sworn and civilian union representatives, were
enthused and excited about the opportunity to re-invigorate our organization and make
fundamental changes in the way we do business.

This year’s retreat established one important principle: the LAPD must be a team
enterprise.  It was an important step toward the transparent and participatory organization
that I am working to establish.

The biggest change to emerge from SOAR will be the organizational chart and chain of
command structure.  Those changes haven’t been finalized and budgeted, but I can
provide an initial overview of how things are taking shape.

Most enforcement operations will be grouped under Assistant Chief Jim McDonnell.  The
Deputy Chiefs in charge of the four geographic bureaus will be reporting to Chief
McDonnell.  Operations-Headquarters Bureau has been disbanded and its functions will
now be divided between two new bureaus, each headed by a Deputy Chief, who will also
report to Chief McDonnell.

Deputy Chief Mike Hillmann heads Special Operations Bureau.  It will absorb some of
the functions currently performed by the Uniformed Services Group, including
Metropolitan Division, and Air Support Division.  Chief Hillmann will be able to
maximize the impact of the Department’s superb special units and achieve goals of
reducing crime, disorder, and fear in the geographic Areas.  He will work closely with the
Bureau Chiefs and the eighteen Divisional Captains.

The new Detective Chief will have two important roles to play.  The Detective Bureau
will oversee most of the functions of the Detective Services Group, including Robbery-
Homicide Division.  The Detective Chief will oversee Narcotics Division, which is
expected to expand considerably in our efforts to disrupt street gang narcotics activities.
The Detective Chief will also lead a far-reaching reorganization of the detective function
in the local areas.  In the interests of decentralization and local accountability, Area
detectives will continue to report to the Division.  The Chief of Detectives will also
oversee a reform of how their work is done, decreasing the volume of redundant
paperwork, increasing the number and intensity of field investigations, and getting our
highly trained and skilled detective force more proactively involved in arrests and crime
prevention activities in the field.

I am also seeking to expand the Homeland Security Operation.  My old colleague John
Miller will lead this newly created Bureau.  He worked with me as a Deputy
Commissioner in the NYPD and was one of the principal architects of the NYPD crime
reduction strategies.  John is a distinguished journalist, an expert on terrorism and the last
U.S. reporter to interview Osama Bin Laden.  Working closely with Commander Mark
Leap, I expect they will significantly expand the size and functions of our anti-terrorism
efforts.

Assistant Chief George Gascón will serve as Chief of Support Services, in charge of
personnel, training, and information and communications systems.  Assistant Chief
Sharon Papa will be Chief of Administrative Services, overseeing planning, management
functions, budget, facilities and the critical Jail and Property Divisions.  Consent decree
functions will be grouped together in a Consent Decree Bureau headed by former Police
Commissioner Gerald Chaleff.  Internal Affairs will be led by a soon to be named Deputy
Chief who will report directly to me.

SOAR also provided the opportunity for crime strategy teams to report their findings.
The teams are well along in finalizing their recommendations for more proactive and
assertive policing designed to reduce the city’s crime rate.

Re-engineering teams will soon be formed to begin putting together strategies to tackle
the Department’s administrative problems.  Union officials, sworn employees, civilian
employees and outside experts will be invited to participate in these teams.

SOAR is just the departure point in what I envision as a year of change that will re-
invigorate the Department back into the fight to reduce crime.

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1