Greetings from the Los Angeles Police Department.  The following is the
monthly update for June 2003.  I hope you find the information useful.
You are encouraged to continue to visit our Web site at www.LAPDOnline.org
as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since its inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

I’d like to use this month’s message to update you on a number of current
issues.  A lot has been happening on many different fronts.

To begin, the Los Angeles City Council has approved 18 new Lieutenant II
positions for the Gang Impact Teams.  The positions were taken out of the
re-organization and added to the budget.  They are exempt from the city’s
hiring freeze and will be filled using money that will become available
after July first.  The Lieutenants will directly supervise our gang
units.  They are vital in preventing a repeat of the type of corruption
that occurred in the Rampart CRASH unit.

tragedy, the Board of Police Commissioners directed the Department to
review and revise our pursuit policy with a renewed emphasis on ensuring
the safety of officers and civilians.  The new policy was signed and
implemented on June 10th.  Under that new policy, officers will not
initiate pursuits based solely on observing traffic infractions even if
the offender refuses to stop.  Officers still have the discretion to
pursue suspects wanted for misdemeanors and felonies or those who pose an
immediate danger to the public, including drivers under the influence of
drugs or alcohol, as long as all appropriate guidelines and public safety
concerns are met and can be articulated.

In January 2003, the Police Commission approved a policy that requires
alarm calls to be verified before a response from the Department is
requested.  There is a very good reason for the new policy.  Currently, 15
percent of officer time is spent on false alarm calls.  In response to the
Commission’s actions, the City Council created the Burglar Alarm Task
Force to develop recommendations to amend the Police Commission’s
decision.  The Police Commission is reviewing the Task Force’s
recommendations.  The final policy, set to take effect July 1st, will
significantly reduce the number of these calls that we respond to.

Working with the unions, we are currently examining Injured on Duty, or
IOD claims to identify the types of assignments that frequently lead to
injury.  We hope to reduce injuries, and get more officers on the streets
by addressing the most common and prevalent types of accidents and
injuries through training and education.  In addition, to ensure that this
benefit is not abused, oversight by local commands and the Bureau of
Professional Standards will increase significantly, and review of each
Area’s IOD cases will become a regular feature of our weekly COMPSTAT
process.  Discussions with the Department’s various unions will be held to
enlist their input, guidance and support in managing this benefit and to
reduce any potential abuses.

Connie Rice, a prominent civil rights attorney, has been asked by the
Police Commission to head a seven-member Blue Ribbon Panel to determine
whether or not the Department has corrected the mistakes and deficiencies
that led to the Rampart scandal.  I asked the Police Commission to
establish this independent panel as it became clear that the Department’s
own after-action reports on the incident were not satisfactory.  This is
not a new “investigation,” but an “after action” examination of what the
Department has learned from this dark chapter in our recent history, and
what the LAPD is doing or should be doing to prevent another corruption
scandal in the future.  It is my hope and expectation that this report and
the soon to be completed Department review of several Rampart-related
shooting investigations will finally put Rampart behind us.

We have identified a site for the new Parker Center at First and Alameda
Streets.  The City is working with the surrounding communities, including
the Arts District and Little Tokyo, to address their concerns and expedite
the project. The City is also negotiating with the owners of three
buildings that potentially could house a temporary Parker Center while the
new facility is built.  We’ll keep you informed as the projects move
forward.

In closing, for nearly eight months now I have been privileged to serve as
chief and tell the Department’s story.  I have come to understand just how
good the men and women of this Department are.  Their commitment,
professionalism, compassion and expertise are “second to none.”  I truly
believe that the sworn and civilian personnel of the LAPD have begun to
turn a corner in the Department’s history and that the story I get to tell
will increasingly be one of initiatives and successes rather than
explanations of past Department failures.  The late naval Admiral
William “Bill” Halsey once said, “there are no great men…only ordinary men
who in response to great challenges, do extraordinary things.”

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of June 14, 2003

Homicide              Down         -20.2%
Rape                  Down          -6.9%
Robbery               Down          -0.2%
Aggravated Assault    Down          -5.0%
Burglary              Up             1.1%
Larceny               Down          -1.8%
Auto Theft            Up             2.8%
Violent Crimes        Down          -3.1%

OPERATIONS – CENTRAL BUREAU TOWN HALL MEETING

This Town Hall Meeting will bring people from the Central, Rampart,
Hollenbeck, Northeast and Newton Areas together with local government to
discuss community concerns.  The Chief of Police will be in attendance
along with the Commanding Officers from Central Bureau Community Police
Stations, and other police and City officials.  This is the forum for
community input and a vital component of the community/police partnership.

The Town Hall Meeting will be held on Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 6:30 p.m.
at the California Mart, 110 East Ninth Street in Downtown.  Please join us.

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1