Greetings from the Los Angeles Police Department.  The following is the
monthly update for September 2003.  I hope you find the information
useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our Web site at
www.LAPDOnline.org as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since its
inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

This month, I’d like to talk about the future, both my own and the future
of the Los Angeles Police Department.  First let me say that I made a
pledge when I came to Los Angeles in October of last year, to serve for at
least five years and I fully intend to fulfill my commitment.  I stated,
on the morning I was sworn in, that I had “saved the best Department for
last,” and that statement rings truer the more I learn about this great
organization and the great men and women I am proud to serve with.  My
commitment has only grown stronger over the past ten months due to the
outstanding individuals I have met that make up the Los Angeles Police
Department.  Through the Department’s hard work and efforts, we have come
a long way in the past ten months.  Crime is down, activity levels and
morale have increased and there is a new energy level throughout the
Department.  I’m here in Los Angeles because I want to be.  I’m not going
anywhere.  The professional opportunity of a lifetime is here.  My
lifelong career goal has been to prove that cops count.  Police officers
are the essential element in making our cities safe and ensuring the
survival of our form of democracy.  The LAPD is not just an organization
of report takers, but an organization of dedicated professionals who will
show what an understaffed, committed work force can do together.

Over the next two months, the Department will conclude the reorganization
process.  At the end of October we will issue a comprehensive five-year
plan of action.  It will state and guide the Department’s activities to
meet our goals of reducing the incidence and fear of crime, particularly
gang crime, full implementation of the Consent Decree, and refining what
is already turning out to be a top-notch Counter-Terrorism Bureau.  You
may be asking, why five years?  The answer is threefold.  First, the
Department needs to obtain the technology to support the changes we have
made, such as the technology to improve the COMPSTAT process.  The
Department will work with City Council to accept a two-million dollar
Community Oriented Policing Services Grant to significantly modernize our
COMPSTAT System, particularly its decision tree software capabilities.
Second, the Department needs to develop and improve forensic, ballistic
and DNA capabilities.  Much of this is already in the works with
collaboration between LAPD, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department,
and Cal State L.A. to build a state of the art crime lab, scheduled to
open in 2005.  And third, in order to be out from under the Federal
Consent Decree by the expiration date of June 15, 2006, the Department is
working aggressively to meet all of the interim compliance deadlines.

This plan of action will build on the incredible foundation of talent this
organization possesses, both on the street and in administrative
positions, including civilian and sworn personnel.  It will clearly
identify our strengths, weaknesses and priorities, and what needs to be
done to achieve them.  It will maximize our most significant resource –
our people – the exceptionally talented men and women who are the LAPD.
It will allow the Department to assess whether we are using all of our
resources to meet our identified priorities, and help us to get the right
people in the right assignments at the right time, to achieve significant
reductions in violent crime and make Los Angeles a safer place to live and
work.  In addition, it will clearly state what we believe are our current
capabilities and capacities, while making a strong case for critically
needed additional resources.

The plan will focus on both sworn and civilian needs and priorities.  As
in all police organizations, civilian personnel are sometimes overlooked,
but our seriously understaffed civilian workforce (we have almost 800
civilian vacancies) are truly the glue that holds this Department
together.  From what I have observed and fully appreciate, our civilian
workforce is an integral and valuable resource that provides critical
support to the sworn members of the Department.  This is reinforced by the
fact that a number of civilian vacancies have to be staffed by police
officers because they are so essential to meeting our operational goals.

On the issue of response time, the Department is working to staff up
patrol forces and the Detective Bureau to meet our 7/40 staffing
standard.  This staffing standard translates to a 7-minute average
response for a Code-3 call for service, along with an average of 40
percent of a patrol officer’s time being available for proactive police
work.  This assumes that 60 percent of officer’s time will be spent
answering calls, making arrests, and doing paperwork.  To help achieve
this staffing standard is where the reorganization of Detectives comes
into play.  The Department is striving to get the Detectives to the crime
scenes as quickly as possible in order to relieve patrol officers and to
get them back proactively patrolling the streets.  By assigning a larger
number of Detectives to nights and weekend shifts, we also expect to
increase our arrest and clearance rates.  Detectives, like uniformed cops,
need to be assigned when and where crime is occurring.  The LAPD needs
more highly skilled Detectives conducting investigations and making
arrests while significantly reducing the paperwork that currently
prohibits many of them from functioning as Detectives.

In looking back over the past ten months, I’ll be the first to admit that
unfortunately things have not always worked out the way I would have
liked.  The Department suffered some setbacks during the budget process
with the City Council, including the delay in hiring 320 more officers,
and we are unfortunately still in the business of responding to false
burglar alarms, but even with these setbacks, I feel the opportunities
here at the LAPD are greater than in any other police department that I
have been associated with.

I believe in the Los Angeles Police Department, and the difference our
officers can make in the lives of everyone that lives, works and visits
this City.  We are not the solution, but we are an essential component and
major catalyst.  I have quickly come to understand the great pride and the
great devotion our dedicated officers and civilian personnel have for the
LAPD.  Now is the time for us to seize the opportunity and work
collectively to make the LAPD the kind of place we all want it to be, and
know it can be.  Through teamwork and with the active support and
involvement of the Police Commission and Inspector General, I plan to
achieve the support of the City Council and move forward aggressively to
reach Mayor Hahn’s goal to make Los Angeles the safest large city in
America.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of September 13, 2003

Homicide                      Down         -23.0%
Rape                          Down          -8.1%
Robbery                       Down          -1.0%
Aggravated Assault            Down          -6.7%
Domestic Violence             Down          -3.4%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES          Down          -4.2%

Burglary                      Down          -0.7%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle   Down          -3.3%
Personal/Other Theft          Down          -8.2%
Auto Theft                    Down          -3.3%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES         Down         -3.8%

MEDAL OF VALOR CEREMONIES

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 12:00 noon, the Los Angeles Police
Department will present the Medal of Valor Awards, the Department’s
highest honor.  The Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce will host the
44th Annual Medal of Valor Awards luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Hotel
located at 711 S. Hope Street in downtown Los Angeles. Tickets for the
luncheon may be purchased by contacting Lisa Angrisani at the Los Angeles
Area Chamber of Commerce at (213) 580-7594.  The cost of this event is $85
per person and tables of ten may also be purchased.  The proceeds from
this event will benefit the Los Angeles Police Foundation and the Los
Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce.

The Medal of Valor is awarded to officers who have distinguished
themselves with acts of bravery or heroism beyond the normal demands of
police service.  To date, the Department has awarded 504 Medal of Valor
awards.  The actions of the officers receiving this honor, illustrates the
type of situations any Los Angeles Police Officer may face in the day-to-
day performance of their duties.

METROPOLITAN DIVISION MOUNTED PLATOON’S ANNUAL OPEN HOUSE

Each year the Mounted (Equestrian) Platoon opens the doors of the barn to
the public for their Annual Open House.  This year a special celebration
will be held on Saturday, October 11, 2003, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
to mark the Mounted Platoon’s 15th anniversary.  Tours of the facility and
demonstrations, along with various other law enforcement displays, will be
available to all visitors.  Please join us.

LAPD HAS RE-ESTABLISHED ITS LATERAL ENTRY PROGRAM

The Department has re-established this program for qualified California
police officers.  The lateral program includes an expedited testing
process and an abbreviated training and orientation program.  The training
program will cover areas where LAPD training exceeds the State’s Peace
Officers Standards and Training (POST) mandated training and areas that
are LAPD specific.  The training will be conducted in a manner that
recognizes current police officer’s standing as experienced California law
enforcement professionals and not as new recruits.

Lateral candidates must meet all of the requirements for entry-level Los
Angeles Police Officers, have valid California Basic POST Certificates and
have completed probationary periods with a California police agency.  They
must complete all LAPD tests, except the qualifying written tests.  The
tests are an oral interview, a physical abilities test, a background
investigation which includes a polygraph examination, a medical
evaluation, written psychological tests, and a psychological interview and
evaluation.

Interested candidates may contact a recruiter at (866) 444-LAPD, or log on
to www.lacity.org/per/safety.htm for more information.

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1