Holiday greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police
Department.  The following is the monthly update for December 2003.  We
hope you find the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to
visit our Web site at www.lapdonline.org as it has grown to over 10,000
pages since its inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

This is the time of year when our thoughts turn to family, a time of
looking back and assessing the past year.  As I reflect on my first year
as Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department, I can say without any
reservation, I truly did save the best police department for last.  I feel
privileged to be a part of the LAPD family.

Over the past 12 months, both the Department and I have been on a learning
curve.  I’ve had to learn the differences between West Coast and East
Coast policing styles, and the men and women of this Department have come
to understand many of the ideas, initiatives and expectations I have for
the organization.  One of my primary missions was to refocus this
organization to be more responsive to the crime problems in the city and
more pro-active in our community policing and trust building efforts.
That is what the re-engineering of the LAPD is all about.  But first, I
had to take the time to learn how this Department works as well as the
people behind the badge and the civilians that are the glue that holds the
Department together.  What I’ve learned and have come to respect is the
essence of this organization, the traditions and history that have shaped
and influenced the Department, and the pride and esteem felt by each
member of the LAPD family.  That is what I like to call “the Real LAPD.”

I have become keenly aware of just how difficult it is to be a cop in Los
Angeles.  The level of violence here, directed against the police,
compared with other large cities, is disturbing.  Gang members outnumber
officers considerably and have little respect for law enforcement.  The
volatile mixture of gangs, guns and narcotics is the source of significant
amounts of the violence in this city, and the simple truth is, we don’t
have enough cops on the streets at any one time to make a significant,
timely impact on that problem.  My number one priority is to get more
officers on the streets by increasing the number officers, but that will
take time.  There is a flip side to the Department’s limited ranks and it
represents one of the Department’s greatest strengths.  Because there are
so few officers, they have become very good in performing their duties,
being efficient, skillful and tactically superior.  What the Department
lacks in quantity, it has overcome in quality. To that end, the officers
of the LAPD have become the best and most highly trained urban police
force that I have ever encountered.  These men and women are truly second
to none.

What I have also observed and support as “the Real LAPD,” is the
cohesiveness of this organization, and how officers depend on each other.
Again, because there are so few, there is a special and unique bond
between partners.  I’m sure that comes from the dangers that patrol cops
face out on the street.  An officer’s partner is their first-line back up
and the trust required in that type of relationship often extends beyond
the job.  An officer’s partner becomes their brother or sister both on and
off the job.

Over the past year I have looked into how the Department investigate
crimes, and the outstanding skills that are possessed within the
organization by our detective workforce.  The American image of the modern
police detective was modeled after Los Angeles officers through the radio
and television series Dragnet.  But that image is merely a Hollywood
version of the real LAPD.  The strengths of our detectives have been
overlooked and misdirected by the paper-driven bureaucratic process,
primarily making the detective function that of a desk job.  Through the
reorganization and the establishment of the Detectives Bureau, my goal is
to get more of our detectives back in the field, investigating crimes and
making arrests.  I am also aware that the critical investigative
infrastructure of this Department is woefully insufficient.  We are
deficient in DNA and forensic capabilities and other resources that are
critical in our detective’s efforts to solve crimes.  I will continue to
fight for resources that will give detectives the tools they need to
perform to the capacity that will again elevate their status to national
and worldwide prominence.

I have also come to appreciate the incredible work done in the community
through the Senior Lead Officer program.  Although small in number, these
officers are the human face of this Department and the essential trust
building link for the people of this City.  The work of these 168 officers
has helped to build a bridge, and the efforts have been paying off
considerably.  Community members are coming forward as never before to
partner with us to reduce crime.  SLO’s help people have a greater comfort
level with police.  They are more willing to reach out not only in moments
of crisis or terror, but they can speak candidly during investigations and
openly regarding quality of life issues.  These partnerships can and have
lead to some of the Department’s greatest successes in problem solving and
crime prevention.  Eventually, I would like every cop to have the time to
interact with the community as Senior Lead Officers do.  But until there
are sufficient patrol staffing levels, the Senior Leads are the thin blue
line of the Department’s outreach and community policing efforts.

The strength’s of the organization I’ve mentioned best illustrate “the
Real LAPD.”  As I move into my second year as Chief of the LAPD, I want to
build on these strengths, on the incredible foundation that exists. With
the Department’s outstanding tactical, investigative, and outreach
abilities, coupled with its cohesive, cooperative, and self-reliant
spirit, I have quite a story to tell about the men and women of this
Department.  And this story will be told to the people of Los Angeles and
the decision-makers, as the Mayor, the Police Commission and I fight for
the additional resources needed to make this the safest big city in
America.  Our goals for the Department are to get more cops, more
training, the best technology available, and to keep the people of this
City safe, and to keep officers safe so that at the end-of-watch each day,
they can return to their families.

It has been my pleasure serving as the Chief of the Los Angeles Police
Department for this past year, and I look forward to serving you in 2004.
As an organization, the men and women of this Department have made
tremendous strides in reducing crime and fear over the past 12 months, but
doing better has never be enough for “the Real LAPD.”  Where we are is not
where we need to be.  Through the commitment and expertise of the 13,000
sworn and civilian employees of the Los Angeles Police Department, I am
confident that continued success awaits the people of this City in the New
Year.  During this holiday season I wish all the best to you and your
families.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of November 29, 2003

Homicide                     Down          -25.6%
Rape                         Down          -8.4%
Robbery                      Down          -3.7%
Aggravated Assault           Down          -7.5%
Domestic Violence            Down          -6.0%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES         Down          -6.1%

Burglary                     Down          -1.3%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle  Down          -4.2%
Personal/Other Theft         Down          -7.0%
Auto Theft                   Down          -4.2%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES        Down          -3.7%

CHIEF’S HOLIDAY PARTY

Preparations are being made for the 2003 Chief of Police Community Holiday
Celebration, benefiting the Los Angeles Police Foundation.  The
festivities include dinner, dancing, entertainment and more.  The event is
scheduled for Friday, December 12, 2003, at 7:00 p.m. at the Century Plaza
Hotel, 2025 Avenue of the Stars in Century City.  The cost per person is
$125.  To purchase tickets, contact the Los Angeles Police Foundation at
(213) 741-4550.  For additional information, visit the Foundations web
site at www.lapolicefoundation.org.

LAPD HAS RE-ESTABLISHED ITS LATERAL ENTRY PROGRAM

The Department has re-established this program for qualified California
police officers.  The lateral program includes an expedited testing
process and an abbreviated training and orientation program.  The training
program will cover areas where LAPD training exceeds the State’s Peace
Officers Standards and Training (POST) mandated training and areas that
are LAPD specific.  The training will be conducted in a manner that
recognizes current police officer’s standing as experienced California law
enforcement professionals and not as new recruits.

Lateral candidates must meet all of the requirements for entry-level Los
Angeles Police Officers, have valid California Basic POST Certificates and
have completed probationary periods with a California police agency.  They
must complete all LAPD tests, except the qualifying written tests.  The
tests are an oral interview, a physical abilities test, a background
investigation which includes a polygraph examination, a medical
evaluation, written psychological tests, and a psychological interview and
evaluation.

Interested candidates may contact a recruiter at (866) 444-LAPD, or log on
to www.lacity.org/per/safety.htm for more information.

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1