Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for February 2004.  We hope you find
the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our Web
site at www.lapdonline.org as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since its
inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

The men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department, both sworn and
civilian, have met the Department’s first and most important goal in 2003,
reducing the incidence and fear of crime.  Not only did their hard work
substantially reduce homicides and violent crime, they also made
outstanding progress toward the Department’s other goals: fully
implementing the Consent Decree, and creating a counter-terrorism entity,
the Critical Incident Management Bureau.

Through their collective commitment, focus, diligence and accomplishments,
they helped to restore an enormous amount of credibility to the Department
in the past year.  Because of their efforts, the Department has turned the
corner in regaining its stature from a skeptical public and has won back
the respect of the community’s political leadership.  They have shown that
they are capable of doing more, and that when given additional resources,
they are put to good use.  Even in this period of tight budgets, hiring
freezes, and cutbacks, the men and women of the LAPD have demonstrated the
ability to continue to deliver by protecting and serving you, the people
of Los Angeles.

Although 2004 is a year of budget uncertainty, the belief of the command
staff and myself is that there is still the capacity within this
organization to do even more.  Because of the caliber of the men and women
of this Department and their desire to improve, the momentum gained in
2003 will continue.  This year, we will refine the best practices that
proved successful.  We will continue to improve COMPSTAT and our focused
policing efforts.  Along those lines and specific to the goal of reducing
violent crime, we will develop strategies that will emphasize putting cops
where they’re needed the most.

That means focusing Department resources on the high-risk…people, places
and activities.  Although the Department doesn’t have the resources to
simultaneously focus its efforts on each of these high-risk environments
throughout the city, we will impact crime levels by zeroing in on the
interaction between high-risk victims and suspects, high-risk activities,
and high-risk places.  Think of it like this, three circles drawn on a
piece of paper.  In the center is where they overlap…the high-risk
environments.  That’s where we will target your valuable police resources,
in focused and precise surgical operations.  I believe that with this
strategy, you will see additional significant crime reduction successes.

The Department goals for the New Year are similar to those of 2003.  We
will continue to push for an overall reduction in Part One crime by 20
percent.  The Consent Decree is also making us a better Department as we
come into full compliance.  And fighting terrorism and any threats to our
City remains a priority.

But there is one more goal for 2004…to improve officer safety by fighting
for more cops and more technology.  I believe the best way to fulfill this
goal will be to continue to do what we did this past year and what we do
best…fight crime.  By getting the bad guys off the streets and making this
an even safer city, the men and women of the LAPD show you, the people,
and the elected officials of Los Angeles that with more, we can do more.
Then we will be able to ask for additional funding for Public Safety.  The
Department has shown that the formula works…when we add more cops,
particularly as was done in the 77th Street Area of the City in South Los
Angeles, we can make dramatic reductions in the number of homicides.
Focusing in on problem areas, the Department made significant progress.
But we also learned, based on current available resources; we can’t make
these improvements equally throughout all areas in the City.

Because Los Angeles police officers were more assertive and made many more
arrests and stops of suspects, assaults against police officers went up
dramatically in 2003.   The safety of police officers is my primary
concern and another of my goals in 2004 is to improve it anyway I can.
Because the Department is so limited in the number of officers on the
streets at any one time, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to assure
officer safety.  When police officers feel safe, it translates directly
into improved citizen safety.  This proves to be yet another compelling
reason for additional personnel resources.

In 2003, the men and women of the LAPD have given me great stories of
heroism, integrity, and crime reduction to tell the people of Los
Angeles.  By continuing these efforts, this Department collectively makes
the greatest case for increased funding and increased personnel.  This is
what Mayor Hahn, the Police Commission, and I will continue to fight for.
Together, with the cooperation of the people of this City, we work toward
the ultimate goal of making Los Angeles the safest big city in the nation
for all its residents and its police officers.  You deserve nothing less.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of January 31, 2004

Homicide                     Down          -14.6%
Rape                         Down          -2.3%
Robbery                      Down          -7.1%
Aggravated Assault           Down          -16.8%
Domestic Violence            Down          -26.2%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES         Down          -15.7%

Burglary                     Down          -9.0%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle  Down          -6.6%
Personal/Other Theft         Down          -18.0%
Auto Theft                   Down          -6.3%