Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for March 2004.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our Web site
at www.lapdonline.org as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since its
inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

What a Difference One Year Can Make

I asked the men and women of this Department for a story to tell, and they
delivered.  Their story is the story of success, a story of the Real
LAPD.  I am telling it to the decision-makers, and to the communities of
Los Angeles.  There are very visible and positive signs that people are
listening.

Take for example a recent editorial in the Los Angeles Times, a newspaper
that in the past has been extremely critical of the Department. The
editorial titled, “A Blue Line Stretched Thin,” acknowledges that while
the Department don’t have the number of cops needed, we are reducing
crime, we’ve set some ambitious goals for this year, and more gang bangers
are shooting at police officers.  Quoting the editorial: “The city cannot
tolerate attacks on its police force.  Nor can the City Council abandon
its efforts to hire more cops.”  This positive response by one of the
largest media outlets in the City truly recognizes all of the hard work
performed by Department personnel in the past year.

In 2003, gang-related homicides were down 30 percent.  There was nearly an
eight percent reduction in total gang-related Part One crimes.  L.A.
police officers are putting the heat on the gangs…and they don’t like it.
Last year, there were forty incidents in which 84 officers were shot at…
compared to 33 incidents in 2002.  Eighty-four officers’ lives on the line…
fortunately no police officers’ lives were lost to this mindless
violence.  But that 21 percent increase in shots fired at officers caught
the attention of City lawmakers.  The Council has increased the reward
from $25,000 to $75,000, for information leading to the arrest and
conviction of anyone who shoots at an LAPD officer.

Another example of support comes directly from those we are sworn to
protect and to serve, the people of the City of Los Angeles.  More
murderers are behind bars and more gang members are off the streets thanks
to the community’s commitment to help the LAPD by providing information
and tips, often anonymously.  This is a direct result of the Department’s
continued efforts, over the past year, to improve the relationships with
the communities we serve.  This year, we will work even harder to gain
more trust and give residents a reason to be proud of “their” Department.

These three examples best illustrate that the men and women of this
Department have made a tremendous impact.  What a difference one year can
make.

Focusing on 2004 we want to continue the momentum.  While the goals may
seem a stretch…reducing homicides by another 20 percent and Part One crime
by 20 percent, I firmly believe this Department is capable of making that
stretch.  We will also attempt to improve clearance rates on overall Part
One crime by 25 percent.  We expect to reduce response time Citywide to
eight minutes and to achieve full compliance with the Consent Decree.
These ambitious goals will require a more assertive and focused policing
style.  So as officers work harder, I’ll be doing all I can to improve
officer safety.  There will be enhancements in tactics and training and an
ongoing push to increase the ranks and get more officers on the
streets.

During the ongoing budget debates, the command staff and I will use the
reduced crime rate to illustrate the direct economic impact gained from
last year’s hard work.  Based on calculations of the actual cost of crime
to a city, the savings last year from our efforts in reducing homicides by
21 percent represents $462 million dollars.  Add to that the reductions in
rape, robbery and aggravated assaults and the savings increases by another
$31 million.  With the goals we have set for crime reduction this year,
the financial benefit to the City could be close to $1 billion dollars.
That’s equivalent to the entire Police Department’s budget.

With this information, the people of this City are shown that although the
Police Department is one of the most heavily funded of all the City
departments, it is also “the” best investment.  When crime is down, the
savings to a city are monumental.  Many people believe that the Department
can’t have an impact on crime during a poor economy.  Just the opposite is
true.  If crime is down, the economy improves.  That is why adequate
funding for law enforcement is so important.

The outstanding efforts of the members of this organization during 2003
have helped the Department make a dramatic impact that is being felt by
all of the City’s stakeholders, many of whom are now partnering with us
like never before.  I will admit that the goals we have set for 2004 are
ambitious, but based on the caliber of the members of this Department, the
Real LAPD, I believe that these goals are attainable – and sustainable.

Improved officer safety, reducing crime and fear, and improving trust and
cooperation from the diverse communities we serve…our focus is to do it
all in 2004.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of February 28, 2004

Homicide                    Down          -5.9%
Rape                        Down          -2.4%
Robbery                     Down          -7.7%
Aggravated Assault          Down          -16.7%
Domestic Violence           Down          -20.5%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES        Down          -14.2%

Burglary                    Down          -8.0%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle Down          -2.3%
Personal/Other Theft        Down          -9.9%
Auto Theft                  Down          -6.1%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES       Down          -6.2%

LOS ANGELES POLICE-CELEBRITY GOLF TOURNAMENT

Preparations are underway for the 33rd Annual Los Angeles Police-Celebrity
Golf Tournament scheduled for Saturday, May 1, 2004, at Rancho Park Golf
Course in West Los Angeles.  More than 30 movie, television and sports
stars will play golf to raise money for the Los Angeles Police Memorial
Foundation.  This year’s host will be Kelsey Grammer, the Emmy-winning
star of the current hit television series “Frasier.”

Aside from just golf, this tournament serves as an LAPD open house event
that features displays and demonstrations from the various police units.
Anyone interested in the Los Angeles Police Department will not want to
miss this day of family fun.  Tickets are available for $5 and are
available at all Los Angeles Community Police Stations and at the gates at
the day of the event.

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1