Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for April 2004.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our Web site
at www.lapdonline.org as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since its
inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

I have used the term “reorganization” repeatedly over the last 16 months,
but for organizations that want to remain current, timely, and competitive
in an ever-changing environment, flexibility and change are inevitable,
and out of necessity, constant.

For this Department, the current environment is one of decreased resources
in the wake of the state’s budget crisis, a public that we continue to
work with to build trust, and a criminal element that is resisting this
Department’s more focused and assertive style of policing.

There are some referendums being proposed for the November ballot that
would provide a permanent source of funding for public safety.  One,
created by Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, would initially generate
approximately $165-million dollars for the LAPD by increasing the county
sales tax by one-half percent, enough money to hire 1,800 officers.  While
that sounds great, the simple truth is, we would not be able to
significantly increase the Department’s strength and add officers for at
least one to two years after that referendum passes, if it passes.

Despite the current resource limitations, we will not be satisfied with
just holding the line and maintaining the status quo.  Therefore, we must
further refine and adjust the organization to run at peak efficiency,
address issues of officer safety, and meet our crime reduction goals for
the year.  By maximizing the Department’s potential, we show you, the
people, and the politicians of this City that when given more resources we
will use them wisely.  We also enhance the image of the Department by
showing everyone that we are capable of learning from our past mistakes.

To reach our stated goals of a 20 percent reduction in Part 1 crimes, a 20
percent reduction in homicides, a reduction in response time to 8 minutes
Citywide, an increase of our clearance rate to 25 percent and improved
officer safety, the command staff and I have identified ways to make the
Department operate more efficiently.  It will require change, but the
changes are designed to get more officers out on the streets.  The bottom
line, in order to continue the momentum and continue to reduce crime, we
need more bodies in blue out on the streets.  To do that, we will be
meeting and confering with the various unions relative to reducing,
eliminating, and streamlining several organizational entities.

Several other changes will directly improve operational efficiency as it
relates to patrol and ultimately to officer safety.  First, we will be
expanding the Reserve Officer Program.  Reserves are a cost efficient way
to build the Department’s administrative support and operational
strength.  There is also now a plan to retrain and assign sworn
administrative personnel to patrol positions for two days each deployment
period.  We will work to improve recruitment by increasing our efforts
with the Magnet School, Student Intern, Explorer, and Cadet Programs.  Our
goal is to establish a pipeline to the Academy of the most qualified
applicants available.  This will put us ahead of the curve when large
numbers of personnel retire around the same time.

Another change will be the review of all Injury-on-Duty (IOD) cases and
the I.O.D. system that is currently in place.  We need to find out how
many personnel who are on I.O.D. status, can be returned to patrol
duties.  Hopefully, with the focus on officer safety, the end result will
yield fewer officer injuries and fewer I.O.D. claims, and more officers
available for patrol and enhanced officer safety.

To work smarter and to bring the Department into the 21st century, the
command staff and I will be working to obtain and implement newer
technologies to help officers be more efficient and productive.  The
savings in time and the increased productivity that technology purchases
provide invariably pay for the initial expense.  It’s smarter policing and
for the average officer, a more stimulating and satisfying way to work,
minimizing paperwork and increasing time in the field.  We are looking to
replace the aging MDTs in the patrol cars.  We are close to finding a
source of funding for the CopLink technology that will dramatically
improve our crime reduction efforts.  It will help us to substantially
reduce the number of detective-hours needed to investigate crimes.  As a
result of the Consent Decree, the Personal Data Assistants or PDAs will
soon be in use to assist in the collection of traffic stop data,
eliminating hundreds of thousands of paper forms currently being
completed.  The Department was recently given Blackberry communication
devices for all Senior Lead Officers through a donation to the Police
Foundation by Cingular Wireless.  The Blackberries provide cellular phone
and e-mail technology.  We will continue to work with the Foundation to
secure additional technologies and replace aging systems, ensuring that
officers will have state-of-the-art equipment and support.

I will also be looking at the way the Department does things and why.
Yesterday’s policies and practices may no longer meet today’s critical
needs.  That is why I have gone to bat over issues like the burglar alarm
policy, the vehicle pursuit policy, and the priority Code-3 call changes.
This Department must continually refine its tactics, procedures, and
policies for the sake of efficiency, officer safety, and to protect you,
the public.

I am asking a lot of the men and women of the LAPD, but I have no doubt
that they will deliver.  By giving our maximum effort, with minimum
resources, we will make the strongest case for additional support.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of April 10, 2004

Homicide                      Up              2.8%
Rape                          Down           -1.3%
Robbery                       Down          -13.5%
Aggravated Assault            Down          -13.9%
Child/Spousal Abuse           Down          -15.4%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES          Down          -13.1%

Burglary                      Down           -8.4%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle   Down           -2.5%
Personal/Other Theft          Down           -8.9%
Auto Theft                    Down           -6.1%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES         Down           -6.1%

NATIONAL POLICE MONTH – MAY 2004

In October 1962, a joint-resolution became public law authorizing
President John F. Kennedy to proclaim May 15 of each year as Police
Officers’ Memorial Day, and the calendar week of each year which May 15
occurs as National Police Week, and concurrently May as National Police
Month.  The Los Angeles Police Department will commemorate National Police
Month with the following events that the public is invited to attend:

*  Los Angeles Police-Celebrity Golf Tournament.  Preparations are
underway for the 33rd Annual Los Angeles Police-Celebrity Golf Tournament
scheduled for Saturday, May 1, 2004, at Rancho Park Golf Course in West
Los Angeles.  More than 30 movie, television and sports stars will play
golf to raise money for the Los Angeles Police Memorial Foundation.  This
year’s host will be Kelsey Grammer, the Emmy-winning star of the current
hit television series “Frasier.”

Aside from just golf, this tournament serves as an LAPD open house event
that features displays and demonstrations from the various police units.
Anyone interested in the Los Angeles Police Department will not want to
miss this day of family fun.  Tickets are available for $5 and are
available at all Los Angeles Community Police Stations and at the gates at
the day of the event.

*  LAPD Memorial Ceremony on Monday, May 3, 2004, at 11 a.m. The ceremony
takes place at the Los Angeles Police Memorial in front of Parker Center,
150 North Los Angeles Street, in downtown Los Angeles.  This somber
ceremony of remembrance honors every fallen officer who wore the LAPD
badge.  The public is welcome to attend this event as we remember our past
heroes.

*  Interfaith Day of Prayer on Sunday, May 23, 2004, at the Emmanuel
Lutheran Church, 6020 Radford Avenue in North Hollywood at 5 p.m.  This
non-denominational service will again be held to acknowledge and support
the commitment to public service that the men and women of the Los Angeles
Police Department uphold daily.  The public is invited to join us on this
momentous occasion as Department members affirm our mission to “enhance
public safety while working with the diverse communities to improve their
quality of life.”

*  The LAPD Annual Memorial Run at Dockweiler Beach in Playa del Rey on
Saturday, June 26, 2004 beginning at 8:15 am with a series of foot races.
This event helps to raise money for the LAPD Support Group.  The Los
Angeles Police Revolver and Athletic Club present this event.

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1