Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for June 2004.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our Web site
at www.lapdonline.org as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since its
inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

As we move forward in 2004, the men and women of the Los Angeles Police
Department have much to be proud of.  Over the last 20 months, through an
incredible amount of smart policing and hard work, they have proven to our
communities-our stakeholders- that through assertive and focused community
policing, they can have a significant positive impact on crime and quality
of life issues here in the City of Los Angeles.

They have shown repeatedly that they can achieve ambitious goals - like
the impressive reduction in homicides last year and the reductions in
violent crime this year.  But just as important, they have proven it can
be done consistently, compassionately, and constitutionally.  Their
commitment over the last year and a half has led to significant and
unprecedented support from the communities they are policing and its
leadership, be it religious, cultural or political.

One of the best examples of this was in February, when African American
ministers and other activists in the City gathered at the West Angeles
Church of God in Christ to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Los Angeles
Police Department to protest the violence directed at their police
officers.  Going one step further, these leaders also called on their
communities and congregations to step forward and partner with police and
to no longer remain silent about crimes being committed in their
neighborhoods and on their streets.  In other words, to make a difference,
they had to be the difference.  I consider this to be a watershed moment
in the Department’s continuing effort to rebuild trust and strengthen
relationships with the minority communities of Los Angeles.

Another example occurred this past April as the Los Angeles City Council
passed a motion introduced by Councilman Martin Ludlow and Councilwoman
Janice Hahn.  They spearheaded an increase in reward money from $25,000 to
$75,000 for those who come forward and provide information leading to the
arrest of suspects committing crimes against public safety personnel.
This is a direct result of the 21 percent increase in shots fired at
officers in the line of duty in 2003.  As police officers work to reduce
violent crime and go after the worst of the worst, the gangs on the
streets are feeling the heat.  Unfortunately some are choosing to push
back in violent ways.  It is my strong belief that as officers continue to
rebuild commitment and trust with the many diverse communities, that more
people will begin to come forward with information that will help us
arrest those who are attacking front line officers.

Another example of community support recently came from the Los Angeles
Urban League.  At their Annual Whitney M. Young, Jr. Award Dinner in
April, a videotape presentation was shown to the 1,500 guests.  The
presentation highlighted the positive working relationship between
Department personnel and leaders in the African American community.  It
shows that as part of our commitment to have a Department whose members
are reflective of the many diverse communities we serve, together we are
trying to increase the number of African American candidates and
ultimately officers in our ranks.

Key players in these efforts were Los Angeles Brotherhood Crusade
President Danny Bakewell and Urban League President John Mack who
stated, “There has clearly been a major turning point in the relationship
with the LAPD and the African American community.”

We are also seeing support of Department efforts from the news media in
this City.  Oftentimes in the past, and sometimes rightfully so, many
media outlets have been critical of the Department, but that is also
beginning to change.  Recently, the Los Angeles Sentinel, during Black
History Month, published several articles on new partnerships being formed
between many African American community groups and the Los Angeles Police
Department.  And as I have mentioned previously, even the Los Angeles
Times in an editorial titled “A Blue Line Stretched Thin” states, “The
city cannot tolerate attacks on its police force. Nor can the City Council
abandon its efforts to hire more cops.”  This is unprecedented and much
needed support from highly influential and respected news sources.

As you can see, we have begun to see a turnaround in the Department’s
relations with many of the communities, leaders and news outlets who have
often been critical in the past.  There is a new appreciation by you, the
people of this City, for the work that officers do on a daily basis, for
putting their lives on the line, and for the effective and efficient job
that they do with the limited resources available.  This appreciation has
lead to increased involvement and support by a growing number of city
residents and community leaders.  More and more are coming forward to
partner with the Department and provide information that will help
officers make arrests, solve crimes and reduce the fear and violence that
permeates so many of our neighborhoods.

It is my hope that this show of support and trust from the community for
the men and women of this Department will ultimately result in increased
police funding.  A half-cent county sales tax initiative, led by Sheriff
Lee Baca would only cost people fifteen cents a day for an additional
1,500 to 1,800 officers for the LAPD (and 3,200 more for the rest of the
county).  With that number of officers, and with the help of the people of
L.A., we could tip this city in the right direction.  We could maintain a
reduction in crime and have officers available to saturate areas during
spikes in crime, while improving officer safety with significantly more
police on the streets at all hours of the day.

With the support of the people of Los Angeles, elected officials, and the
Police Protective League, we have a golden opportunity to create a golden
era, here in the golden state.  I believe Angelinos are ready to move into
a new era.  To live in a city where crime isn’t a major concern and where
a sluggish economy can once again flourish.

The hard work of L.A. police officers over the past year and a half, make
the strongest case for additional support for this Department.  By
continuing on this course, we move closer to making Los Angeles the safest
big city in America - for you, the residents of this great city, and for
the men and women of this Department.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of June 5, 2004

Homicide                      Up              2.2%
Rape                          Up              2.7%
Robbery                       Down          -16.8%
Aggravated Assault            Down          -13.3%
Child/Spousal Abuse           Down          -13.1%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES          Down          -14.2%

Burglary                      Down           -8.8%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle   Down           -6.6%
Personal/Other Theft          Down           -7.5%
Auto Theft                    Down           -9.7%