Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for October 2004.  We hope you find
the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our
website at www.lapdonline.org as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since
its inception in 1998.

We are also interested in hearing from you to find out how we can improve
the Los Angeles Police Department website.  A brief survey has been posted
on our website, and the information received from those participating will
be considered as we revise LAPDOnline.  By taking a few minutes to fill
out the survey, your input will help us improve and refine our online
services.  Your cooperation is deeply appreciated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

The retooling and refocusing of the Los Angeles Police Department since my
appointment in October 2002 has shown that the men and women of this
Department can and have made a significant impact on the quality of life
in this City.  Through focus, innovation, perseverance, but mostly through
plain hard work, they have been responsible for eliminating LA’s dubious
title as “murder capital of the nation” and have moved us toward the
Mayor’s ultimate goal of being the safest big city in the nation.

In less than two years they have helped transform this Department into a
lean, efficient and focused crime-fighting team.  The LAPD is prepared to
reclaim its stature as the world’s premiere law enforcement organization.
The only obstacle that stands in our way is the need for additional
resources, namely more cops on the streets and more technology.

In the past several months, I have made mention of Los Angeles County
Sheriff Lee Baca’s efforts to find a permanent source of public safety
funding for all law enforcement agencies in the County.  The LA County
Board of Supervisors agreed to put a ½ cent sales tax initiative on the
November 2 ballot.  I want to use this article to educate you on the
impact the initiative, now called Measure A, would have on this Department.
I am not asking for a yes or no vote, nor am I asking you to campaign for
or against this initiative.  I am, however, providing you with information
to educate you on an initiative that could have a tremendous impact on
every employee in this Department, every resident in this City, and every
resident in Los Angeles County.

The passage of Measure A would mean the City of Los Angeles would receive
approximately $168 million a year, out of the total estimated $500 million
generated annually for all law enforcement agencies in the County.  These
funds would be dedicated specifically for law enforcement, violence
prevention programs and the hiring of more staff for the LA County
District Attorney’s Office, the Public Defender’s Office and the Probation
Department.

Built into the initiative are provisions that allow for any annual
surpluses to be redirected back into police and sheriff budgets the
following year.  This new revenue could not be used to replace existing
funding, and additional protections written into Measure A include
independent financial and performance audits, ensuring that these funds
would only be used for law enforcement.

In terms of dollars translating into resources for this Department,
Measure A would allow for a net gain of 1,260 police officers and 128
civilian support personnel for the City of Los Angeles, over a gearing-up
period of roughly five years.  Added to our current sworn strength of
roughly 9,200 that would mean a total of 10,460 officers.  The additional
1,260 police officers would be assigned to the field at the geographic
Areas throughout the City.

The gearing-up period is the time it will take to identify, screen, hire,
and train new recruits, and Recruitment and Training Divisions’ ability to
respond to a rather large influx of new personnel.  These two divisions
would not only be dealing with the activities surrounding the new hires
brought about by this initiative, but also with the routine activities of
replacing the roughly 350 to 400 retirees the Department sees each year.

During the gearing-up period, the Department could use any remaining funds
not used for hiring personnel to fund overtime assignments specific to
patrol and crime suppression in the geographic Areas, at the discretion of
Area Captains.  The remaining funds could also be used to purchase
technology and equipment, such as vehicles, computers and radios, to
support the new hires.  Outside the $168 million allocated to the City of
Los Angeles, 15 percent of the total estimated $500 million raised by the
County is earmarked for outreach intervention programs, addressing such
issues as child abuse, domestic violence, graffiti, and youth violence.

It will require a two-thirds majority vote for Measure A to pass.  While a
survey conducted in early August of 1,000 randomly selected County voters
shows there is support for the measure, there are those who oppose it.
Measure A is an increase in the sales tax, which means the average
resident in the County of Los Angeles will pay an additional forty to
sixty-five dollars more in sales tax each year.  Those polled in the
initial survey were asked: “Should the Countywide sales tax be increased
by one-half cent?”

Initial responses, were 57 percent “yes” and 32 percent “no.”  After
hearing the arguments for Measure A, 68 percent responded “yes” and 26
percent responded “no.”  Of the 32 percent initially opposed to the
measure, the increase in taxes was the key reason for their opposition.

The formula is simple, more law enforcement officers equals less crime.
That formula worked in both New York and Boston.  With more officers, the
tipping point was reached.  In both cities, there were sustained dramatic
drops in both violent and quality of life crimes.  Now it is up to the
voters of Los Angeles County.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of October 2, 2004

Homicide                       Up            2.2%
Rape                         Down           -6.1%
Robbery                      Down          -16.7%
Aggravated Assault           Down          -13.0%
Child/Spousal Abuse          Down          -14.1%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES         Down          -14.2%

Burglary                     Down           -9.3%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle  Down           -9.6%
Personal/Other Theft         Down           -6.4%
Auto Theft                   Down          -11.3%