Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for November 2004.  We hope you find
the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our
website at www.lapdonline.org as it has grown to over 10,000 pages since
its inception in 1998.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

Any organization runs the risk of becoming dated and obsolete when it
holds too firmly to its past routines and systems by not acknowledging the
shifts and variations that are always present with the passing of time.
This organization, however, particularly over the past two years, can no
longer be accused of being outdated, as the men and women of this
Department have shown themselves to be dynamic and adaptable, resulting in
what can only be called the metamorphosis of the LAPD.

This is not to say that we are finished, or that there will ever be a
final, perfect product.  However, by acknowledging change, and the
willingness to adjust to it, this Department remains current, competent,
and credible to those we are sworn to protect and to serve.

A recent change within the Department involves the way we investigate
Categorical Use of Force incidents.  The Critical Incident Investigation
Division (CIID) has now been deactivated.  In its place is the new Force
Investigation Division (FID).  FID has assumed investigative
responsibility for all Categorical Use of Force incidents.  Since my
appointment as Chief of Police, I have always believed that this
Department could improve on investigations of incidents where an officer
used significant levels of force.  This belief was reinforced over my
first year and a half as Chief, as cases filtered through the system, and
I was briefed on cases where I had been present at the scene.  I
constantly felt that the LAPD could do a better job at both investigating
these cases and presenting them.  My primary concern for doing this is
make sure the process is fair for everyone involved, including the
community and our officers.  I also believe there is no more critical
issue than this one facing the Department.

Under the old system, CIID and Robbery Homicide Division (RHD)
investigated all Categorical Use of Force incidents.  CIID was tasked with
the administrative investigation while RHD handled the criminal
investigation.  CIID would assume overall command of the investigation and
interview Department employees while RHD interviewed civilian witnesses.
Because we had two different Department entities investigating one use of
force, the investigations were sometimes fragmented and not completed on
time.  Another problem was having those conducting the “administrative”
investigation take charge of the crime scene.

It became apparent to me that this was not so much a failure of the men
and women involved in the investigations, but rather a failure of the
system.  Because of these problems, I directed Deputy Chief Mike Berkow to
examine all the best investigative practices nationwide and develop a new
system for the Los Angeles Police Department.  Deputy Chief Berkow and his
staff spent several months researching the “best practices” and reached
out to other departments involved in use of force investigations,
including the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, the Los
Angeles City Attorney’s Office and the Los Angeles Police Protective
League.  In the end, what was created is the new FID.

The new FID has both a Criminal Section and an Administrative Section.
The Criminal Section is responsible for handling the crime scene,
including interviewing witnesses and canvassing the area.  The
Administrative Section will be assigned to interview the involved officer
or officers, and be responsible for completing a final report that will be
presented to the Use of Force Review Board.  In staffing both the Criminal
and Administrative Sections, we have selected several of the Department’s
most experienced and seasoned detectives and investigators.  Both of these
sections will be under one command.  The goal is to provide an effective
and efficient investigation process for handling Categorical Use of Force
incidents.

We are also working hard to redefine what type of incident is considered
a “Categorical Use of Force” and then would need an FID investigation.
Expect to see changes in the future in the way the Department responds to
animal shootings and to non-tactical accidental discharges.  In the
future, we expect these investigations will be done at the divisional
level, rather than requiring the comprehensive, in-depth investigation
that an FID call-out will bring.  Efficiency is key, especially when we
have very limited resources.

The use of lethal force by the men and women of this Department must
always be investigated in a comprehensive and objective manner.  Police
officers have been given the privilege and the power of enforcing the law,
and any force used must be the minimum amount necessary to control any
given situation.  Not only is this a Consent Decree issue, it is also the
requirement of a civilized society.

Our Department, the community, and every employee in this organization
deserve the finest, fairest, and most timely investigation possible.  I
truly believe that the creation of the Force Investigation Division will
meet these goals, and it will become a model for law enforcement agencies
nationwide.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of November 6, 2004

Homicide                      Down           -0.7%
Rape                          Down           -6.0%
Robbery                       Down          -15.9%
Aggravated Assault            Down          -13.4%
Child/Spousal Abuse           Down          -14.0%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES          Down          -14.1%

Burglary                      Down           -9.3%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle   Down          -10.1%
Personal/Other Theft          Down           -6.3%
Auto Theft                    Down          -11.8%