Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for February 2005.  We hope you find
the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our
website at www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and
updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

With 2004 now behind us, the men and women of the LAPD have much to be
proud of.  They were successful once again in saving lives and making the
streets of our City safer.  Now it is time to set new goals for the new
year, and optimize and capitalize on the momentum of the past two years.
Because of their hard work, and ability to do more with less, the command
staff and I feel that this Department has the capacity to achieve a
stretch goal of an additional 10 percent reduction in Part I crime in 2005.

This is a stretch goal, similar to last year, and is based on the
assumption that the LAPD will not realize any significant increase in
personnel resources in 2005.  Should there be a change in available
resources, either an increase or decrease, this stretch goal will be
adjusted accordingly.  As part of the effort to realize this 10 percent
crime reduction goal, working with the recommendations of the senior
command staff, we have further refined and reorganized the Department’s
structure to make it more efficient, coordinated and focused.  We have
combined certain commands to eliminate duplication and expedite operations
both internally and with the City’s administrative structure.

The largest change in the Department’s organizational structure is the
elimination of Human Resources Bureau with a large share of its units
being reassigned to the Office of Support Services, which remains under
the command of Assistant Chief Sharon Papa.  These include Personnel
Group, Training Group, Behavioral Science Services, and the Ombuds
Office.  Risk Management Group will be reassigned to Consent Decree Bureau
and Employee Relations Group will be added to the responsibilities of the
Chief of Staff.  The Chief of Staff will also be responsible for the Use
of Force Review Section.  By eliminating Human Resources Bureau, it will
free up First Assistant Chief Jim McDonnell to become the new Chief of
Staff, and will allow him to work more closely with me as we continue to
fight for more resources.  It will also allow Deputy Chief Mike Berkow to
devote his full attention to commanding the Professional Standards
Bureau.  I very much appreciate Chief Berkow’s willingness over the last
eight months to perform successfully what amounts to two full time
functions.

Another major change is in the Office of Operations, continuing under the
command of Assistant Chief George Gascón.  Office of Operations will
assume the responsibility of Jail Division.  Under Operations, we will
look for efficiencies that help us to cut the time it takes to book
detainees.  The ultimate goal is to get police officers back on the
streets more quickly to do what they do best - fight crime.

Another change in the Office of Operations will be in the Detective
Bureau, which remains under the command of Deputy Chief Gary Brennan.  The
Organized Crime function will now become its own Section and will be moved
to Major Crimes Division.  Major Crimes is under the newly renamed Counter
Terrorism and Criminal Intelligence Bureau (formerly Critical Incident
Management Bureau) under John Miller.  Vice Division will remain in
Detective Bureau.

As I mentioned, Assistant Chief Sharon Papa, who heads up the Office of
Support Services, will assume command of a large portion of the human
resources related duties.   Commander Mike Bostic will serve as her
Executive Officer and will oversee Planning and Research Division.
Personnel Group will fall under Administration and Technical Services
Bureau, (formerly Fiscal and Technical Services Bureau) aligning it more
closely with the budget and finance component.  Ninety-six percent of the
Department’s budget supports the personnel function.  By combining these
two areas, we will be able to operate more efficiently with City Hall and
the City Administrative Officer.  Additionally, Records and Identification
Division will move to Information and Communications Services Bureau.

This reorganization supports our 10 percent crime reduction goal this year
and is consistent with the Department’s 10 percent crime fighting formula
for success; 10 percent of the suspects commit 50 percent of the crime, 10
percent of the victims equal 40 percent of the crimes, 10 percent of the
places are where 60 percent of the crimes are committed.  By streamlining
our systems and structure, we will continue to focus our limited personnel
on these repeat offenders, victims and problem locations.

With the additional refining and reorganization of the Department, I am
confident the men and women of this organization can continue to reduce
crime, prevent terrorist attacks and fully implement the Consent Decree.
We are working to enhance the quality of life for everyone who lives,
works and visits the City of Los Angeles.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of January 29, 2005

Homicide                    Down          -10.5%
Rape                        Down          -36.6%
Robbery                     Down          -16.9%
Aggravated Assault          Down          -20.6%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES        Down          -19.5%

Burglary                    Down          -15.4%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle Down          -19.6%
Personal/Other Theft        Down          -23.3%
Auto Theft                  Down          -15.9%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES       Down          -18.9%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES     Down          -19.0%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1