List Serve Message - April 2005
www.LAPDOnline.org

Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for April 2005.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our website
at www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

In keeping with the Department’s core value of “Quality through Continuous
Improvement,” we are always looking for innovative and creative methods to
develop best policing practices.  One significant result of our quest for
managing the workplace is the Training Evaluation and Management System
II, better known as TEAMS II.

The initial TEAMS system, known as TEAMS I, was established in 1997 and
allowed Department supervisors a limited view of an employee’s automated
performance history.  That wasn’t good enough.  So the system was enhanced
to allow access not only for supervisors, but also for each individual
employee to view their own information.  Since then the revisions and
enhancements have continued as part of a new initiative called TEAMS II.

When it is completed it is intended to be a highly efficient computer
database system that provides critical information to ensure Department
personnel are effectively utilized and trained.  Like the Department’s
COMPSTAT system, TEAMS II is designed to utilize technology to its maximum
potential.  The goal is to effectively evaluate, measure and manage our
most valuable resource – the men and women of this Department.

TEAMS II can provide comparative analysis of an employee’s performance to
that of their peers performing similar duties under like conditions.  With
this information, supervisors and managers will be able to fairly evaluate
the nature, quantity, and quality of an employee’s work performance.  In
addition, managers will be better able to evaluate each supervisor’s
ability to oversee their employees.  This will assist all Department
employees in becoming more productive and effective in the workplace.

An employee’s TEAMS II report will contain a summary of the employee’s
history within the Department including disciplinary actions, firearms
qualification information, assignment and rank history, work permit
information, training history, and commendation records.  Public contacts,
such as number of citations issued, number of arrests, and number of
pedestrian and vehicle stops, are also included.  Additionally, risk
management issues will also be part of the TEAMS II report and include
information on use of force incidents, traffic collisions, pursuits, and
civil litigation records.

TEAMS II will work by using a new Use of Force System, a Complaint
Management System, and Deployment Period System.  These will be added to
informational systems already maintained by the Department.  Selected
performance-related data will be extracted from each of the systems and
fed into a newly created Risk Management Information System, which is the
heart of TEAMS II.  Lastly, TEAMS II will allow “on-line” reporting,
documenting, and reviewing of use of force and complaint investigations.

Here’s how the Risk Management Information System will work.  An
employee’s performance information is stored in 14 databases.  Selected
performance data is sent from the individual databases into a “data
staging area,” which is like an information warehouse.  Periodically, the
Risk Management Information System extracts information from the data
staging area and performs comparative analysis of both individual and
organizational performances.  When comparisons identify an employee or an
organizational entity with performance issues that are significantly
different from the performance of their respective peer groups, an
automatic notification, or “Action Item,” is generated to determine if
appropriate recognition or mentoring is needed.

An “Action Item” on its own does not indicate misconduct.  An “Action
Item” merely indicates that an employee’s performance is different when
compared to one’s peers.  It doesn’t mean that they have done anything
wrong or improper.  An “Action Item” merely notifies a supervisor or
manager to initiate a review.

It should also be noted that TEAMS II will provide routine notifications
to the commanding officers of employees whose peer group performance
indicates a high number of public contacts with correspondingly few use of
force or complaint incidents.

When will we see TEAMS II?  The first two components of TEAMS II, the new
Use of Force System and Deployment Period System, are being rolled out as
a pilot program in Northeast and Central Areas, Force Investigation
Division, and Use of Force Review Division.  The Complaint Management
System and the Risk Management Information System will be activated soon
after.  A department-wide rollout of all TEAMS II components will be
accomplished on a bureau-by-bureau basis starting in late spring or early
summer.  We expect to complete the rollout by November.

Full compliance with the Consent Decree continues to be a primary goal of
mine for this Department.  A priority of the Decree itself is to emphasize
the role of managers and supervisors with the intended result of improved
and consistent quality oversight.  Reforms like Teams II require a
proactive “best business practice” approach to supervision.  We have made
a commitment to the communities we serve, to provide policing that is
compassionate, consistent and constitutional.  The people of the City of
Los Angeles deserve no less, and the men and women of the LAPD deserve a
workplace free from those who would tarnish the badge.

NATIONAL POLICE WEEK

In October 1962, a joint-resolution became public law authorizing
President John F. Kennedy to proclaim May 15 of each year, as Police
Officers’ Memorial Day and the calendar week of each year which May 15
occurs as National Police Week.  The Los Angeles Police Department will
commemorate National Police Week with the following events that the public
is invited to attend:

* LAPD Candlelight Vigil on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 7:30 p.m.
This event will take place at the Ahmanson Recruit Training Center, 5651
West Manchester Avenue in Westchester.  The Ahmanson Recruit Training
Center displays a unique sculpture memorializing our officers killed in
the line of duty.  The candlelight vigil will include a brief service in
front of the facility.  The names of the officers killed will be displayed
during the event.  This event promises to provide a unique opportunity for
the Department, community, and family members of fallen officers to gather
together and continue our promise to “Never Forget” those who have made
the ultimate sacrifice.

* LAPD Memorial Ceremony on Thursday, May 19, 2005, at 10 a.m.
The ceremony takes place at the Los Angeles Police Memorial in front of
Parker Center, 150 North Los Angeles Street in downtown Los Angeles.  This
somber ceremony of remembrance honors every fallen officer who wore the
LAPD badge.  The public is welcome to attend this event as we remember our
past heroes.

* Interfaith Day of Prayer on Sunday, May 22, 2005, at St. Michael’s
Catholic Church, 1016 West Manchester Blvd. at 4:00 p.m.
This non-denominational service will again be held to acknowledge and
support the commitment to public service that the men and women of the Los
Angeles Police Department uphold daily.  The Public is invited to join us
on this momentous occasion as Department members affirm our mission
to “enhance public safety while working with the diverse communities to
improve their quality of life.”

* Los Angeles Police-Celebrity Golf Tournament on Saturday, May 21, 2005,
at Rancho Park Golf Course in West Los Angeles.
Preparations are underway for the 34th Annual Los Angeles Police-Celebrity
Golf Tournament.  More than 30 movie, television, and sports stars will
play golf to raise money for the Los Angeles Police Memorial Foundation.
This year’s host will be Chris O’Donnell, from the critically acclaimed
movie “Kinsey.”  As of March 29, 2005, celebrities scheduled to appear
include: Sylvester Stallone, Joe Mantegna, Ron Masak, Anne-Marie Jonhson,
and Chad Everett.

Aside from just golf, this tournament serves as an LAPD open house event
that features displays and demonstrations from the various police units.
Anyone interested in the Los Angeles Police Department will not want to
miss this day of family fun.  Tickets are available for $5 and are
available at all Los Angeles Community Police Stations and at the gates at
the day of the event.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of March 26, 2005

Homicide                     Down         -7.9%
Rape                         Down        -34.2%
Robbery                      Down        -12.1%
Aggravated Assault           Down        -34.8%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES         Down        -26.4%

Burglary                     Down        -11.1%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle  Down        -22.9%
Personal/Other Theft         Down        -18.3%
Auto Theft                   Down        -13.6%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES        Down        -17.5%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES Down  -19.6%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1