Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.  The
following is the monthly update for June 2005.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our website at
www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

As we end this current fiscal year and begin a new one July 1, I want to
update you on a number of issues that will soon impact the Department in the
months ahead.

In April, the Police Commission approved two new methods that can be used to
end pursuits earlier and more safely, reducing the risk to the public, to
those being pursued, and to the pursuing officers.

At a recent event at the Davis Training Facility in Granada Hills, the new
methods were demonstrated to the local media.  The Pursuit Intervention
Technique, or PIT maneuver, when done properly is an effective and
non-evasive method of ending a pursuit when certain conditions exist.  The
PIT maneuver should only be used at speeds of 35 miles-per-hour or less,
when no pedestrians or other vehicles are in the immediate area, and only on
wide roadways.  So far, about 500 officers have been trained in the use of
the PIT maneuver.  Eventually the Department’s entire patrol force will be
trained.

Also demonstrated at this event was the deployment of the Stop Stick tire
deflation device.  The Stop Stick device weighs about four and a half pounds
and can be thrown by an officer up to 60 feet across a roadway.  When
properly deployed, they extend about 12 feet across the road surface.  Each
Stop Stick contains small quill-like spikes that pierce the tires of the
vehicle being pursued, allowing a gradual release of air so that the vehicle
is controllable as it becomes disabled.  The Stop Stick can safely be used
on vehicles travelling up to 65 miles-per-hour.  We expect to purchase 1,141
Stop Sticks with the goal of having them available in every black and white
patrol vehicle.

Another issue that you no doubt have heard about is Special Order Number 40.
 Both Assistant Chief George Gascón and I have spent a great deal of time
with community leaders and the Hispanic media to explain that we will be
clarifying the policy.  In summary, Special Order Number 40’s language will
not change.  LAPD officers are still prohibited from asking a person their
immigration status.  But this prohibition has never applied to those cases
where people are convicted in the United States of serious offenses,
primarily violent felonies, aggravated narcotic offenses and multiple
misdemeanors and are later deported.  In compliance with specific Department
policies and guidelines, officers can arrest individuals wanted for illegal
reentry when they recognize someone they know has been convicted and
deported and has reentered the country illegally, making them subject to an
illegal reentry warrant or want.  These are the worst of the worst, they
prey on their own communities, robbing, raping, extorting and murdering
people.  Working to get them off the streets is consistent with the idea of
focusing enforcement on the small percentage of the criminal population who
are disproportionately responsible for a large percentage of crime.  Once
clarifications are made to Special Order Number 40, we will begin
comprehensive training to make sure the Order and the clarified procedures
are being implemented and enforced Departmentwide on a consistent basis.

The City’s budget situation is much improved over last year.  Money has been
approved to hire 760 new officers, including 360 officers for anticipated
retirements and other attrition, replace two helicopters, and improve our
technology.  Due to the success of the digital license plate recognition
system currently deployed in Rampart Area, 20 of these systems will be
acquired for the next fiscal year.  Each geographic Area will soon be able
to utilize this state-of-the-art technology that can scan, recognize and
process the license plates of several hundred cars within a 15-minute
period.  Also approved were 25 firearm training simulators, enough for one
simulator at each of the 19 geographic Areas.

This next fiscal year, we will also be buying 424 new black and whites to
replace 301 patrol vehicles.  We will be replacing 110 motorcycles with new
state-of-the-art Harley-Davidson Electra Glide bikes.  After a very
competitive bid process, Harley Davidson came in with the best deal for this
Department, meeting all our specifications, including anti-lock braking
systems, a new feature that addresses an important officer safety issue.

Now that the new West Valley Station is open, and Mission, the first new
Area station since 1978, is operational, I want to update you on the
Department’s efforts to bring our police facilities into the twenty-first
century.  Construction is anticipated to begin on the replacement station in
Harbor Area, and on the new 20th Area Station, tentatively referred to as
Mid-City Area, this July with occupancy of both facilities expected in early
2008.  Construction is also expected to begin in September this year on the
replacement stations in Rampart and Hollenbeck Areas.  Both these projects
are projected for occupancy in January 2008.  The Los Angeles Regional Crime
Lab, our collaborative effort with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s
Department, and Cal State L.A., is currently under construction with
occupancy anticipated in the fall of 2006.

In the area of new technology, 1,500 new Dell 610 laptop computers have
recently been delivered to the Department, with installation into patrol
vehicles to begin in August.  These new computers, easily removable for
maintenance, will be integrated into the field reporting system and will
replace the 1995 Windows technology currently powering our laptops.

As a forward-moving and progress-minded organization, we are showing the
people of Los Angeles and beyond that this Department is determined to be in
the forefront of the profession.  By utilizing the best practices, the best
equipment, and by being ahead of the curve in addressing critical policing
issues, we position ourselves to achieve our goal of being the worldwide
leader in law enforcement.  Next year’s budget is a significant step in the
right direction to eventually staff and equip the Department to move closer
toward that goal.

CRIME STATISTICS - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of May 28, 2005

Homicide                              Down          -6.0%
Rape                                  Down          -28.7%
Robbery                               Down          -9.2%
Aggravated Assault                    Down          -39.0%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                  Down          -28.2%

Burglary                              Down          -9.3%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle           Down          -17.7%
Personal/Other Theft                  Down          -13.8%
Auto Theft                            Down          -10.1%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                 Down          -13.4%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES               Down          -17.1%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1