Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for August 2005.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our website
at www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

For a law enforcement agency to be successful, respected and well thought
of by the communities it serves, it must be one that is disciplined,
measured, and controlled.  In last month’s message, I spoke about the
ongoing reorganization of Professional Standards Bureau, my discipline
philosophy, and the use of disciplinary settlements.  This month, I want
to talk about officers being measured and controlled in their decision-
making, especially when dealing with issues of force.

There are generally three reasons why a good officer would make a poor
decision.  The first is the misunderstanding of a policy; the second is
inadequate training; and the third is the lack of or misuse of the proper
tools.  Learning from our mistakes allows the Department to continually
modify our procedures, training and tactics to ensure that they are always
contemporary and, to the best of our ability, reflect the best practices.

Earlier this year, I directed Training Division to conduct a comprehensive
review of the Department’s policy, training, equipment, tactics, and
review processes for use of force issues.  Training Division was directed
to find the “Best Practices” from around the world to ensure that the LAPD
is always among the leaders in law enforcement when dealing with use of
force issues.  Our goal is to get the job done lawfully when taking
violent suspects into custody, while reducing the risks of death and
injury to officers and suspects alike.

In February, eight outside use of force experts from around the country
examined our Department’s use of force practices and policy.  On March 9,
thanks to a grant provided by the Los Angeles Police Foundation, the
Department hosted a one-day use of force “Best Practices” workshop.  The
workshop brought the outside experts together with subject matter experts
from Training Division, Metropolitan Division and the Police Protective
League along with members of the Department’s command staff, the City
Attorney’s Office, the Inspector General, and others.  In April, the LAPD
Use of Force “Best Practices” Strategic Planning Work Group was created.
This group consists of a variety of officers of various ranks from inside
the Department, and will soon include outside consultants and community
leaders as the Department seeks to innovate in this area.  Assistant Chief
Sharon Papa is overseeing the efforts of the work group, which is being
coordinated by Captain Greg Meyer of Training Division.

Speaking to the issue of training, the 2006 fiscal year budget, that began
July 1, has allowed the Department to order enough firearm training
simulators to have one permanently available at each geographic Area so
officers can sharpen their decision-making skills with realistic “shoot,
don’t shoot” scenarios.  Regarding equipping officers with the best tools
and equipment, we have made many changes and are looking at making more.
Already in place is the new Glock firearm, and soon to be in practical
use, the recently approved Stop Stick tire deflation device and Department
flashlight.  We are currently looking at new taser technology and
evaluating these less-lethal devices that are now cheaper and small enough
to fit comfortably on an officer’s belt.

In reference to Consent Decree issues, the Department has entered the
fifth year of that process.  As required, we have been performing
integrity audits or “stings” to monitor our progress in certain key areas
involving interaction with the public.  The good news is that we are
making a good deal of progress, especially in the area regarding the
intake of public complaints.  During the first quarter of 2003, the
Department’s compliance rate for public complaint intake was at an
unacceptable 43 percent.  Based on the results of the integrity audits
completed for the first three months of this year, the Department achieved
a compliance rate of 95 percent.  Additionally, of the 146 Consent Decree
provisions that the Department is responsible for, we believe that we are
in compliance with 121.  Of the 23 provisions that we are not in
compliance, we are 80 percent compliant with 14 of them.  The remaining
two are still pending consideration.

Along with “Best Practices,” filling vacant positions with the best and
brightest individuals is key to the success of this organization.  On June
28, I announced several promotions, upgrades, and transfers that are
critical to keeping the Department moving in the right direction.  The
promotions include Rhonda Sims-Lewis who is leaving the City Personnel
Department as Assistant General Manager to become the Commanding Officer,
Administrative and Technical Services Bureau, the Department’s highest
ranking civilian position, replacing Laura Johnson who is retiring;
Commander Richard Roupoli promotes to Deputy Chief as Commanding Officer,
Operations-West Bureau; Captain III Sergio Diaz promotes to Commander as
Assistant Commanding Officer, Special Operations Bureau; Captain III Terry
Hara promotes to Commander as Commanding Officer, Training Group; Senior
Management Analyst II Gloria Grube promotes to Police Administrator I as
Commanding Officer, Records and Identification Division; Lieutenant II
Michael Williams promotes to Captain I as Patrol Captain, North Hollywood
Area; and Lieutenant II William Hayes promotes to Captain I as Patrol
Captain, Pacific Area.

The promotions are also reflective of my commitment and priority to have a
workforce and command team that is reflective of the diverse population
that we serve.

It is my fervent belief that if Department personnel are well led, well
trained and have the best tools and technology available, they will be
more confident in their jobs, provide better service to the community, and
will be far less likely to be injured or killed while performing their
duties.  They are also far less likely to be involved in disciplinary
actions.  By instituting the “best practices” in law enforcement, the LAPD
becomes the model organization that all others will follow.  We become a
department second to none in our commitment to excellence.  That is the
real LAPD.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of July 30, 2005

Homicide                                Down           -3.3%
Rape                                    Down          -23.7%
Robbery                                 Down           -7.0%
Aggravated Assault                      Down          -39.4%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                    Down          -27.7%

Burglary                                Down           -9.4%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle             Down          -15.5%
Personal/Other Theft                    Down          -12.9%
Auto Theft                              Down           -8.9%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                   Down          -12.1%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                 Down       -16.1%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1