Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for October 2005.  We hope you find
the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our
website at www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and
updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

The LAPD Family

The public perception of a law enforcement organization is that we are an
agency of officers.  The uniform solidifies that perception as our non-
sworn personnel simply disappear or fade into the general population once
they leave an Area station, a Bureau office, or Parker Center.  Even
internally, the term “civilian” means either a Department employee whom
officers work with daily or a member of the public that officers are sworn
to protect and to serve.

When the former Board of Police Commissioners held its final meeting on
August 16, each of the outgoing commissioners commented on the fine work
of the men and women of the LAPD.  In Commissioner Rick Caruso’s comments,
he spoke about the officers in the field and the civilians behind the
desks and stated that collectively, these are the people that make the
Department work.  I couldn’t agree more.  It is the synergy between both
of these diverse yet distinct groups of employees that makes this
Department truly outstanding.

Our civilian workforce is an essential component in the day-to-day
workings of the Department.  We currently have just over three thousand
civilian employees.  That’s a ratio of approximately one to every three
officers.  They fill roles in the Department’s administrative framework
that cannot and/or should not be filled by police officers.  In addition,
civilian employees also play an integral role in operations and support
positions to the officers on the streets.  Civilian employees are the
communication link for officers in the field.  It is Police Service
Representatives, or PSRs, who staff the radio communications systems.
Civilians in the Scientific Investigation Division run the tests that
solidify or clarify the evidence, helping to solve the thousands of crimes
committed in the City.  Non-sworn Property Officers coordinate enormous
amounts of evidence while non-sworn Detention Officers maintain the
responsibilities over those arrested and in the Department’s custody.
Management Analysts working in our Crime Analysis Details are the civilian
support that powers our CompStat system.  And finally, our clerical staff
members are the heart of our enormous record keeping systems.

For the past several years, the City of Los Angeles has been under some
type of hiring restrictions or freeze.  This has severely hampered my
efforts to get more officers out on the streets, not only because of an
inability to hire significantly more officers, but also by making it
nearly impossible to fill civilian vacancies that are crucial to the
ongoing operations of this Department.  Because of the critical nature of
these positions, police officers have been used to fill in as needed,
limiting the amount of officers available for field operations.  At its
lowest point in January 2005, the Department’s civilian vacancy rate was
nearly 20 percent, or 706 employees below our authorized 3,605 civilian
positions.

Fortunately, as of July 5, 2005, the City Council voted to lift the hiring
freeze and the Department is currently in the process of hiring to fill
579 existing civilian vacancies.  Our Personnel Division -- an almost
entirely civilianized entity -- and most notably the Civilian Employment
Section, has been working at a frenzied pace since the lifting of the
freeze to hire approximately 50 PSRs, 70 Management Analysts, 80 Clerk
Typists, 75 Senior Clerk Typists, 20 Senior Management Analysts, 10
Principal Police Clerks, and 80 Police Student Workers.

This month we hope to hire 25 Detention Officers.  In Spring 2006, ten
Property Officers will also be hired.  In many cases, the vacancies
represent promotional and paygrade advancement opportunities for current
Department employees and will allow us to retain the best and the
brightest of our police civilian personnel.

In speaking about the men and women of this Department, I would be remiss
by not recognizing the sincere dedication of our volunteer component.
With more than 600 reserve officers and roughly the same number of
civilian volunteers, these individuals answer to a truly altruistic
calling, receiving no monetary compensation for their service to the
people of Los Angeles.  Although they do not receive a paycheck, they are
an essential part of this organization and valued members of the LAPD
family.

Every employee and volunteer in this Department, both sworn and civilian,
fills an important role in protecting and serving the people of Los
Angeles.  Whether they may sit behind a communications console, a
computer, or the steering wheel of a black and white, they may work behind
a camera, a microscope, or a detective’s desk -- all the men and women of
the Los Angeles Police Department represent the finest in the law
enforcement profession.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of October 1, 2005

Homicide                                      Down          -10.3%
Rape                                          Down          -21.8%
Robbery                                       Down          -7.1%
Aggravated Assault                            Down          -41.1%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                          Down          -28.9%

Burglary                                      Down          -7.6%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle                   Down          -14.0%
Personal/Other Theft                          Down          -12.1%
Auto Theft                                    Down          -7.9%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                         Down          -10.9%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                       Down     -15.5%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1