Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for November 2005.  We hope you find
the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our
website at www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and
updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

Last month I focused my message on the Los Angeles Police Department
family, our sworn, civilian, and reserve personnel, and the teamwork
involved to make this organization function as efficiently and effectively
as it does.  Included in this family are a group of Department employees
who are defending the ideals of democracy and bringing relief to those in
need.  They are the members of the LAPD who are on active military duty
proudly serving our country.

Some 500 Department employees are involved in either the National Guard or
the armed forces reserves.  Currently there are approximately 60 LAPD
employees – both sworn and civilian – on long-term military duty.  The
Department has personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan; our people are working
homeland defense duties in various locations around the country; and we
even have employees assisting in the relief efforts in the wake of
Hurricane Katrina.

The LAPD has a long history of supporting our employees that are called to
active duty.  The Department makes up any lost pay the employee would
incur due to their activation, and we continue to provide all benefits for
the entire activation period.  The employee continues to receive service
credit, and accumulates annual vacation and salary step advancements.  As
part of the Department’s commitment to our active military service
personnel, the Military Liaison Officer position was established in the
Ombuds Office specifically to support our employees serving in the
National Guard and Reserves and their families.  These employees and their
families face unique challenges during a separation.  The Military Liaison
Officer’s main objective is helping to reduce the burdens associated with
military service.

Because of the Department’s commitment, we are one of 15 employers
nationally – out of 1,500 nominations – to be selected to receive the
prestigious Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award this
year.  I traveled to Washington, D.C. last month to accept the award on
behalf of the men and women of the LAPD.

For the past two years, my wife Rikki and I have sent a videotaped holiday
message to all LAPD personnel serving on long-term military duty on behalf
of the entire Department.  This message was also sent to each of the
families of those employees, along with a “Blue Star” banner provided by
the Los Angeles Police Foundation.  The history of the  “Blue Star” banner
dates back to World War I, when they were first hung in the front windows
of the home of a family with a loved one serving in the armed forces.  The
Military Liaison received several responses of gratitude from the families
that were quite touching and genuine.

Although the Department offers financial and career support to our
activated military personnel, I have encouraged Department personnel to
also offer emotional support to these employees and their families.  This
is important year-round but it is especially important this time of year
when families gather together to enjoy the holidays, participate in
religious observances, and celebrate the end of another year.

The rewards of this endeavor have far outweighed the effort put forth.  An
outstanding example of this was a letter I received last year from the
parents of an officer who was deployed overseas during the holidays.  The
letters reads:

--“Dear Sir, Last month my wife and I were visited by a Los Angeles Police
Detective, that was our son’s old patrol partner.  My purpose in writing
is to tell you how touched my wife and I were by the very nice holiday
greetings.  The Detective was very impressive and the entire moment was
one that we will cherish and remember always.”--

The following are Department employees who will be serving on active
military duty during this holiday season.

Mr. William Anderson  Motor Transport Division
Officer Jason Baldwin  South Traffic Division
Detective Stephanie Barr Harbor Area
Officer Charles Barrett  Harbor Area
Officer David Budek  Southeast Area
Officer Christine Bulicz West Traffic Division
Officer Anthony Choi  Wilshire Area
Officer Timothy Cooper  Emergency Services Division
Officer Cory Crawford  Rampart Area
Officer Stephen Crawford Planning and Research Division
Sergeant Michael Daly  Rampart Area
Officer Scott Dewitt  Valley Traffic Division
Det. Officer Charles Duncan Jail Division
Officer Renee Escobedo  North Hollywood Area
Mr. Arthur Fong   Information Technology Division
Officer Peter Gillies  Air Support Division
Officer Evan Guevarra  Southwest Area
Officer Christopher Haines Van Nuys Area
Detective Sammy Hancock  West Valley Area
Officer Patrick Hassell  Southwest Area
Officer Benjamin Hetzler Southeast Area
Officer Philip Karle  Newton Area
Officer Timothy Kevany  Narcotics Division
Officer Curtis Lawson  Metropolitan Division
Officer David Litaker  Rampart Area
Mr. Angelo Maldonado  Central Traffic Division
Officer Robert Mariotti  North Hollywood Area
Officer Brian Martin  Narcotics Division
Officer Antonio Martin  Southwest Area
Det. Officer Jose Melendez Jail Division
Officer Robert Metoyer  South Traffic Division
Sergeant Jorge Pardo  Hollenbeck Area
Officer Robert Percy  Air Support Division
Sergeant Leonard Perez  Central Area
Officer Edward Petterez  Newton Area
Detective Michael Pinnaro Hollywood Area
Officer Donald Poirier  Metropolitan Division
Officer Ryan Powell  77th Street Area
Officer Brian Putnam  Central Area
Officer Annette Razo  Newton Area
Mr. Jerry Regis   Special Operations Support Division
Sergeant Theodore Reyland Special Operations Support Division
Officer David Schnak  Southeast Area
Officer Francisca Soberanes North Hollywood Area
Officer Thomas Stone  Southeast Area
Sergeant Daniel Talbot  Pacific Area
Officer Terrance Taylor  Wilshire Area
Officer Pedro Ugarte  Van Nuys Area
Detective Ronald Vongober Van Nuys Area
Officer Michael Watson  Devonshire Area
Officer Robert White  Valley Traffic Division
Detective Brian Yori  Commercial Crimes Division

Even though they are far from home and their loved ones, they should never
be far from our thoughts.  Whether fighting on the front lines in the war
in Iraq or fighting the battle to make Los Angeles the safest big city in
America, they are all soldiers of justice and freedom.

This holiday season I wish you and your families all the best.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of November 5, 2005

Homicide                                      Down           -5.2%
Rape                                          Down          -20.9%
Robbery                                       Down           -6.3%
Aggravated Assault                            Down          -41.0%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                          Down          -28.5%

Burglary                                      Down           -6.7%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle                   Down          -13.2%
Personal/Other Theft                          Down          -12.2%
Auto Theft                                    Down           -7.6%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                         Down          -10.4%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                       Down     -15.0%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1