Holiday greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police
Department.  The following is the monthly update for December 2005.  We
hope you find the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to
visit our website at www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned
and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

When I came to Los Angeles three years ago, I had three main goals for the
Los Angeles Police Department: to significantly reduce crime and the fear
of crime Citywide constitutionally, compassionately, and consistently; to
embrace and fully implement the best practices of the Consent Decree; and
to create a counter-terrorism entity that will protect Los Angeles from
the threats and actions of those who want to alter, interrupt, or destroy
our way of life.  As 2005 draws to a close, I want to update you on our
progress, and remind you of other changes that have taken place this
year.

First and foremost is the issue of crime reduction.  Although we still
have one month left before we close out the year, I am comfortable in
projecting a very strong double-digit reduction in violent crime.  Part I
crime looks to come in at a decrease of roughly 14 percent, including a
strong reduction in homicides.  These gains are outstanding and a
testament to the men and women of this Department and to their commitment
to keeping the residents of this city safe.  As Chief, I am so proud of
the quality of their work.  I am also pleased that they have achieved
these successes in conformity with Consent Decree guidelines and an
adherence to respect for constitutionally protected civil rights and civil
liberties.

When I was sworn in as Chief, the Consent Decree was viewed as a major
obstacle, something the Department and the City had to overcome.  It was
viewed with great hostility by the leadership of the Department and many
members of the rank and file.  I believe the Consent Decree represents an
opportunity to develop “best practices” for the Department, and the police
profession, and the standard by which this Department should be judged.
Over the past several years, I believe that the men and women of this
organization have begun to understand the spirit of what is required in
the Consent Decree, and are implementing these “best practices” in modern-
day policing.  It has become apparent that we will not meet the pending
June 2006 deadline by completing all of the reforms agreed to in the
Consent Decree.  However, we have made remarkable progress with the
majority of the reforms and I believe that we are in substantial
compliance.  We will seek a modified Consent Decree that is reflective of
our commitment and efforts to date, while acknowledging the need to do
more.

As part of our commitment to protect Los Angeles from a terrorist attack
we will continue to expand our counter-terrorism activities.  Recently,
the Department has developed a partnership with the Manhattan Institute’s
Center for Policing Terrorism.  Through this partnership, we will ensure
that the LAPD is a force of “first preventers” of terrorist activities,
directed by intelligence-led policing.  The Manhattan Institute’s Center
for Policing Terrorism will connect Department leaders with the world’s
most prominent tactical and academic counter-terrorism and homeland
security experts in order to assist us with one of our most pressing
challenges.  The Institute played a role in helping to develop the NYPD’s
highly regarded “best practices” in this crucial area.

And speaking of overcoming challenges, we have finally begun to refill the
sworn and civilian employee ranks.  During fiscal year 2005-2006, we’ve
been budgeted to hire 720 officers.  That’s 370 more than the expected
attrition of 350.  With academy classes averaging 55 recruits per class,
we have hired 330 officers so far, and are on track to fill all of the
remaining budgeted positions. Additionally, our rate of attrition at this
point is below what was estimated for this budget year.  By June 30, 2006,
we should be at an actual strength of 9,500 officers – 300 more than we
currently have.

As for civilian hiring, we have made positive gains and are working hard
to fill the 20 percent vacancy rate we had at the beginning of the year.
With the City Council lifting the hiring freeze this past July, we have
been able to fill many positions and move existing Department employees
into advanced paygrade positions.  Barring any new hiring freezes, we
anticipate hiring an additional 300 civilian employees this fiscal year.

To update you on police facility enhancements, the new Police Headquarters
project is on track and the design process is expected to be completed by
the end of this month.  Construction should begin summer 2006 and plans
are to complete the building by the end of 2009.  Replacement stations for
Harbor, Hollenbeck, and Rampart Areas are each in varying stages of
progress.  The old Harbor station is in the demolition phase and the
Rampart station contract was recently awarded.  Both of these new stations
are expected to be complete by mid-2008.  The Hollenbeck replacement
station should go to bid by the end of this month, with completion
scheduled in mid-2009.  The new geographic Area 20, presently referred to
as Mid City station, began construction in September and could be ready
for occupancy in Spring 2008.  Additionally, the contract for new
geographic Area 21, referred to as Northwest, has recently been awarded
with occupancy expected in late 2008.  The $100 million Los Angeles
Regional Crime Laboratory, the collaboration between the LAPD, the
Sheriff’s Department, Cal State Los Angeles, and the California Forensic
Science Institute, should be ready for a ribbon cutting next fall.

Finally, our Department was recently well represented in Miami at the
recent International Association of Chiefs of Police Conference.  A group
of 35 Department employees, one of the largest delegations ever, attended
landmark law enforcement related events which included the Major Cities
Chiefs Conference, the International Association of Chiefs of Police
Conference and the Police Executive Research Forum Town Hall Meeting.
Department personnel made presentations on such varied topics as Use of
Force, Command Accountability, Organized Crime and Counter-Terror
Initiatives, and LAPD Image Improvement in Ethnically Diverse
Communities.  We spent time investigating “best practices” of other police
organizations and networked with police professionals from around the
world.  These types of “networking” opportunities are essential to
spreading the word that the LAPD is “back” and that we intend to reassume
our leadership position in policing as an organization “second to none.”

The LAPD has had a very good year and each member of this Department,
sworn and civilian, shares in the successes to make Los Angeles a much
safer city.  With the continued commitment of all this Department’s
personnel, further success awaits us in the coming year.  I wish you and
your families all the best during this holiday season and throughout the
new year.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of December 3, 2005

Homicide                                      Down           -5.3%
Rape                                          Down          -17.1%
Robbery                                       Down           -4.6%
Aggravated Assault                            Down          -40.3%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                          Down          -27.2%

Burglary                                      Down           -5.6%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle                   Down          -12.8%
Personal/Other Theft                          Down          -11.9%
Auto Theft                                    Down           -6.7%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                         Down           -9.8%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                       Down     -14.3%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1