New Year’s greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police
Department.  The following is the monthly update for January 2006.  We
hope you find the information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to
visit our website at www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned
and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE - “Cops Count”

As each year passes, the Los Angeles Police Department continues to make
outstanding reductions in crime, making Los Angeles a safer city for all.
But we are not alone in that trend.  According to the National Crime
Victims Survey, violent crime rates across the nation have declined so
significantly since 1994 that the country is on track to reach the lowest
level recorded since the survey’s inception in the early 1970s.

There are those who will argue that demographics, lower unemployment, and
other influences have played a major role in this historic downturn in
criminal activity, but the fact of the matter is that these are only
influences.  The sustained focus of law enforcement, our assumption of
responsibility and accountability for crime prevention, and our unwavering
efforts, applied in spite of tight budgets and thin resources are really
what has led to the reduction in violence in every major city around the
country, and here in Los Angeles in particular.  In short, “Cops Count.”
They are the difference.  They are heavily invested in the cause.  Their
efforts and partnerships directly translate into fewer crime victims,
fewer lost lives, and fewer families struggling to recover in the
aftermath of crime.

In reviewing some of the outstanding successes during 2005, where LA “Cops
Count” and where our officers have made great strides in crime reduction,
it must be noted that as of mid-November, every geographic police station
Area in the City showed double-digit reductions in total violent crime
figures.  The average reduction for all 19 Areas was 28.8 percent.
Several geographic Areas stand out as extraordinary, including Foothill,
which is on track to post the largest reduction in total violent crimes in
the City with a 49 percent decrease over last year.  West Los Angeles and
North Hollywood Areas are on track to share second place with a reduction
in total violent crimes of 38 percent.  Mission Area is right behind with
37 percent, West Valley Area at 35 percent, Wilshire Area at 34 percent,
and Newton and Van Nuys Areas at 30 percent each.  Areas with violent
crime reduction between 29 to 20 percent include Devonshire, Southwest,
Southeast, Rampart, Hollywood, Hollenbeck, Pacific, Northeast, and 77th
Street.

Innovations into the way our officers police this City have much to do
with our successes.  “Cops Counted” in several Safer Cities initiatives,
including one in the Baldwin Village area.  Southwest Area officers, City
Attorney personnel, City Council representatives, and community members
developed and implemented a variety of strategies.  One component of the
project, a Federal Task Force, culminated in a tactical operation that
deployed both LAPD and FBI personnel.  The Task Force served 17 Federal
arrest warrants, 11 State search warrants and 20 parole/probation
compliance searches.  The operation resulted in 18 arrests, the recovery
of eight weapons, including two automatic rifles, and the confiscation of
over two kilos of cocaine.  Because of the outstanding efforts of this
Safer Cities project, Part I Crime in the Baldwin Village area has been
reduced by 22 percent.

We continue to see the fruits of our efforts in other Safer Cities
initiatives including the Alvarado Corridor Project that brought together
police, local government, community members, and business resources to
reclaim MacArthur Park and the surrounding area.  The use of technology,
such as the park camera project, allowed for the installation of closed-
circuit television cameras to be linked to Rampart Station.  The park
camera project was a partnership involving public funds and private
contributions of both money and equipment.  In both of these projects, as
in all of our success stories, cops have been the catalyst for the
reduction in crime throughout the City.

Perhaps for the first time in history in America, the continuing decline
in crime has positioned our profession at the tipping point for change as
our influence can positively affect the ethnic and racial tensions, and
the mistrust that has plagued the country, our cities, and the law
enforcement profession.  Those of us in law enforcement are at the fork in
the road where we can now take the high road and improve our relationships
with the people we serve rather than continue the practices that lead to
tension and mistrust.  We must embrace issues of transparency, and strive
for better working partnerships with all of those in the criminal justice
system and with the public we serve.  It is not enough to continue to
drive crime down, we must at the same time, through compassionate and
constitutional community policing practices, improve the relationship
between the police and the public we serve.  This is particularly true in
our poorest and most disadvantaged neighborhoods and communities.  This
won’t be easy.  It’s hard work, but if we keep trying, I believe the role
of the police will evolve from distanced protector and rapid responder to
a true partner and catalyst for meaningful social change.

So as we celebrate our successes of the past year, we look toward the
challenges of the coming year with the confidence and optimism that we can
continue to make things better.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of December 31, 2005

Homicide                       Down             -6.0%
Rape                           Down             -16.3%
Robbery                        Down             -4.1%
Aggravated Assault             Down             -40.0%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES           Down             -26.8%

Burglary                       Down             -5.6%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle    Down             -12.6%
Personal/Other Theft           Down             -11.7%
Auto Theft                     Down             -6.6%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES          Down             -9.6%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES        Down         -14.0%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1