Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The following is the monthly update for March 2006.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our website
at www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

Last month, the Police Commission determined by a 4 to 1 vote that an LAPD
officer’s use of force in the Devin Brown case was out of policy.  In the
end, I had previously reported to the Commission my determination that the
officer’s use of force was in policy and recommended that finding to the
Commission.  Under our current system, the Commission has the authority
and responsibility to make the final decision concerning policy and we
must respect that decision.  Because this case is so complex, and because
I believe the officer and the Department have the right to directly
address whether his actions rose to the level of misconduct, I have
directed this case to a Board of Rights for a final ruling.  If you
haven’t already, I encourage you to read the Police Commission’s findings
and rationale on the Department’s website at www.lapdonline.org.  The
Command Staff, the Commission, and I are committed to helping the men and
women of this Department perform their very difficult duties with the best
policies, procedures, training and equipment.  Additionally, we will do
our best, after the fact, to fairly and comprehensively evaluate those
actions.

When I accepted the job to lead the men and women of the Los Angeles
Police Department I promised to create an environment where change would
be embraced and best practices in policing would be the way we do
business.  We have been moving forward on a number of fronts and I want to
take this opportunity to update you on several new initiatives.  To move
the Department toward wider deployment of TASER technology, Training
Division is currently conducting a three-month field test on a vastly
improved TASER device.  Other law enforcement agencies around the country
have moved to issuing TASERs to all field officers and have achieved
dramatic results and reductions in officer involved shootings.  This new
TASER model that is being tested is 60 percent smaller and 60 percent
lighter than the model currently in use.  It can easily be worn on the
belt, making it readily available to officers, reducing death and limiting
injuries caused by conventional tactics.

This month we will also be field testing several prototype flashlights.
Based on minimum Department standards, several vendors developed
prototypes that our officers will evaluate for field performance in
patrol, detective, traffic, and specialized unit related functions.  Once
a model and vendor are selected, the Department will issue the new
flashlights to officers and recruits.

Speaking to training issues, new Force Option Simulators should be
arriving shortly at the 19 stations and at our Department training
facilities.  The new state-of-the-art simulators will be installed at the
stations as part of our focus on a more decentralized approach to in-
service training.

To update you on the Stop Stick tire deflation device training, another
example of our commitment to decentralized training, every geographic Area
and Traffic Division now has a trained Training Coordinator.  To date,
more than 3,000 officers from all 19 Areas have been trained, and each
Area and Traffic Division currently has eight Stop Stick devices.  Another
550 devices have been ordered from the vendor and our ultimate goal is to
have a Stop Stick device in every patrol car.

Because a controlled set of circumstances and a specific environment are
needed, Pursuit Intervention Technique, or PIT Maneuver training remains
limited to the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course in Granada Hills.
Currently 1,400 officers have been trained and all recruits receive this
training before they graduate.

Because of recent crime-reduction successes, and our willingness to adapt
to new technologies and practices, the Los Angeles Police Department is
once again the organization that other agencies look to as a leader in
innovative policing.  As President Teddy Roosevelt said in 1906, “There is
mighty little good in a mere spasm of reform.  The reform that counts is
that which comes through steady, continuous growth.”  I am committed to
doing all I can to allow our officers to police this city safely and
effectively.  The job is not always easy, but to remain in a leadership
role, we must continue to move forward through constant reform, review and
evaluation and with our eyes always on the future.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of February 25, 2006

Homicide                                      Down          -23.5%
Rape                                          Down          -14.3%
Robbery                                       Up              7.8%
Aggravated Assault                            Down          -13.8%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                          Down           -4.6%

Burglary                                      Down           -13.8%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle                   Down           -18.9%
Personal/Other Theft                          Down           -19.5%
Auto Theft                                    Down           -10.0%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                         Down           -16.0%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                           Down           -13.6%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1