Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.  The
following is the monthly update for May 2006.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our website at
www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

Consent Decree Update

In June of this year, we will reach the initial expiration date for the
Consent Decree.  At the time the City of Los Angeles entered into this
agreement in June 2001, it was understood that the Decree mandated that the
Department reach substantial compliance for each of the provisions as
outlined in the settlement agreement.  Substantial compliance for most
provisions requires a 95 percent accuracy rate and must remain at that rate
for two years.

Now, as we approach the initial expiration date, we know that the Decree
will be extended primarily due to delays in designing and implementing the
TEAMS II computer systems.  Because of this, we have been working with the
Department of Justice since January analyzing the 18 quarterly reports
submitted by the Monitor thus far to identify additional provisions that may
need to be extended.  Both the Department of Justice and the City believe
that the Department has reached substantial compliance in over 70 percent of
the individual paragraphs of the agreement.

I don’t know yet what the extension will entail.  That will be decided this
June in Federal court.  What I do know is that the Los Angeles Police
Department is in far better shape than it was five years ago, and it has
gained a phenomenal amount of renewed respect from those we serve and from
other law enforcement organizations.  This is a direct result of the hard
work of the men and women of this Department.  Despite continued limited
resources, Department employees continue to rise to every challenge before
them in a professional manner.

I believe that ultimately, the Consent Decree will significantly benefit the
Department.  It has required us to pursue, and oftentimes create, the best
practices in law enforcement.  The Consent Decree has helped in numerous
ways to restore and improve the reputation of the Department, while
supporting our constant goal of being second to none.  It also complements
my desire for the Department to be as transparent as possible in all that we
do, as we are a Department that has nothing to hide.

In our constant search for the best practices, we are networking with other
service organizations and other law enforcement agencies in unprecedented
ways.  This is illustrated by the partnership we forged with the County
Mental Health Services in our efforts to deal with the mentally ill.  As a
first responder, we are no longer merely arresting away a problem, we are
working with mental health clinicians toward more permanent solutions.  The
Consent Decree has required us to take a critical look at the way we train
our officers.  As a result we are focusing on practical, field-applicable
training rather than solely relying on classroom instruction.  The Consent
Decree has also provided the opportunity for this Department to be seen
frequently as innovative and a national leader in the area of law
enforcement auditing.  Our nationally recognized audit course is now highly
sought out by other police agencies around the country, and is approved by
the State of California.  The Consent Decree has also given more authority
to the position of the Inspector General, demanding that the civilian
oversight responsibilities and critical analysis of certain Department
operations be increased.  We are proud of our actions and are not afraid of
professional and objective outside review.  Finally, funding for many
critical Department issues was accelerated because of the Consent Decree.
Because the issues were mandated in the agreement, money that normally would
not have been appropriated, especially during lean budget years, was
available for technology, equipment, training and additional personnel.

Once the Department ultimately meets all of the Consent Decree provisions
and is found to be in compliance, that’s not the end of it.  Essential
components of the agreement will remain.  The Decree is about police reform
and we will always be trying to make our Department more successful and
admired.  The auditing systems will continue.  No world-class organization
can remain at the top of its game without critical review and assessment
driving continuous improvement in the pursuit of the best practices.  I
firmly believe that we can expect what we inspect.  Along those lines,
training – also important to best practices – will continue to be constantly
refined and improved.  And so will the oversight, monitoring, and
investigative functions of the Office of the Inspector General to reinforce
that we are a truly transparent Department.

In closing I would like to share a quote from Mark Twain that I think is
very applicable.   “I’m glad I did it, partly because it was well worth it,
but chiefly because I shall never ever have to do it again.”  We at the LAPD
think of the Consent Decree as we would a college diploma - hard work to
achieve it, but it better prepares us for all that is to come.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of April 29, 2006

Homicide                        Down          -14.4%
Rape                            Down           -0.7%
Robbery                         Up              3.5%
Aggravated Assault              Down          -13.1%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES            Down           -5.5%

Burglary                        Down           -9.9%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle     Down          -14.6%
Personal/Other Theft            Down          -17.6%
Auto Theft                      Down          -11.8%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES           Down          -13.9%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES             Down          -12.1%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1