Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.  The
following is the monthly update for July 2006.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our website at
www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

As many of you may already know, U.S. District Judge Gary A. Feess extended
the consent decree for three years beyond the expiration date of June 15,
2006.  While it was my hope that the scope of the decree would be narrowed
to the reforms that have yet to be enacted, I am confident that we will
achieve full compliance before the new deadline.

In the five years that the consent decree has been in place, we have made
remarkable strides in reforming the LAPD culture, policies, and practices.
The Department is already in “substantial compliance” with the majority of
the provisions.  The men and women of the LAPD, both sworn and civilian,
have embraced the tenets of the consent decree, recognizing that many of the
requirements have greatly improved our organization.

TEAMS II, the computerized system that will track sworn personnel
history—including citizen complaints, use-of-force incidents, traffic stops,
detentions, arrests and commendations—remains at the center of the consent
decree discussion.  Because of its mere scale, and our ambitious and
comprehensive goals for TEAMS II, the Department has been presented with
several formidable technical challenges, including digitizing and merging
data from 18 previous and often incompatible sources.  These challenges have
caused delays and because of these delays, the Department has missed the
June 15 deadline.  Judge Feess is requiring the three-year extension because
the decree requires that all of our reforms, including the $40-million TEAMS
II system, be in place for two years before the agreement can be ended.

As a result, implementation of the system is a top priority and the TEAMS II
Development Bureau, headed by Deputy Police Chief David Doan, is working
hard to get the system up and running.  It is our hope that TEAMS II is in
place as early as September 2006.

With that said, I understand that talk of TEAMS II has raised concern that
the system will trap good officers.  The logic being that good cops make the
most arrests, write the most tickets, and handle the most calls for service.
 As a result, productive cops engage more with the public and are likely to
receive more complaints than other less productive officers.  Productive
cops, therefore, worry that TEAMS II will reflect this.

Although on the surface this rationale would seem plausible, TEAMS II is not
about numbers.  It is about providing supervisors and managers with accurate
and up-to-date information.  The Department has gone to great lengths to
ensure that this system encourages productivity.

Therefore, TEAMS II will evaluate officers in comparison to their peers.
The system will compile information daily and, periodically, quantify
results based on 15 thresholds, including use of force, claims and lawsuits,
complaints, preventable traffic collisions, and pursuits.  A universal
category will also apply to police officers in administrative positions.

TEAMS II is designed to create an action item alerting the supervisor when
the collected data about an officer deviates, either positively or
negatively, in comparison to that of others in the officer’s peer group.
The system will usually be activated when an officer is in the upper one
percent of their peer group.

For instance, in the case of use-of-force, the system will gauge the number
of incidents generated by a patrol officer in relation to the number of
arrests made, and the risks associated with conducting lawful detentions.
The results will then be compared to those of other patrol officers.

The common misconception is that a system-generated action item indicates
that something is wrong or bad.  That is not the case.  It simply reveals
that an officer has an unusual number of deviations or exceptions in
comparison to other officers performing the same duties.  It is up to
management to study the data in order to assess the reason for the deviation
or exception.  If an officer exceeds the use-of-force threshold, for
instance, a supervisor could determine, upon closer inspection, that the
officer has been involved in making arrests of very violent people.

TEAMS II will also provide a quarterly report to each command that will
reflect excellence among officers, identifying those who have made the most
arrests and written the most citations with the fewest use of force
incidents or personnel complaints.  These reports will be sent to commanding
officers and the police officers identified will be rewarded.

Finally, and most importantly, TEAMS II will help to identify intentional
misconduct.  This will protect those officers out there doing a good job.
Good officers should not have to work with corrupt cops.  To secure the
integrity of our Department, we must weed out bad cops from our ranks, and
TEAMS II is the tool to do just that.  My goal is to focus our internal
affairs efforts on that small group of officers who do not have the right to
wear the LAPD badge and uniform.  As I’ve said before, I have no tolerance
for intentional misconduct and will address it with the harshest of
consequences.

Once implemented, TEAMS II will evolve and become more sophisticated and
impart more data than any other system currently in use by a police agency.
 It will encourage accountability and promote compassionate, consistent, and
constitutional policing.  Additionally, TEAMS II will enhance leadership, as
it will provide accurate and up-to-date personnel information for
supervisors and commanding officers to recognize patterns and make key
decisions about mentoring, training, counseling, and discipline based on the
patterns.

For the success of the Department, it is critical for leaders to be well
informed on the activities of their subordinates.  TEAMS II will give
leaders insight as to why a subordinate has a high ratio of uses of force to
arrests.  And, when appropriate, it will allow leaders to take steps to
improve the performance of their subordinates.  TEAMS II is a resource for
risk management, not risk avoidance.  As leaders, it is our duty to improve
the Department’s ability to contain the risks inherent to police work using
tools like this system.  Our ultimate goal is to reduce the number of use of
forces, complaints and lawsuits, if possible, without reducing our efforts
to make Los Angeles the safest big city in America.

There will always be those few citizens who file excessive complaints and
lawsuits, as there will always be a few cops who don’t follow the rules.
TEAMS II will be our best defense.

I am committed to achieving full compliance of the consent decree in our
quest for “best practices” in policing.  I expect nothing less from the men
and women of the leading law enforcement agency in the world.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of June 24, 2006

Homicide                                      Down          -6.3%
Rape                                          Down          -1.6%
Robbery                                       Up             7.3%
Aggravated Assault                            Down         -11.9%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                          Down          -3.2%

Burglary                                      Down          -9.0%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle                   Down         -14.8%
Personal/Other Theft                          Down         -16.0%
Auto Theft                                    Down         -10.6%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                         Down         -13.0%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                           Down         -11.0%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1