Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.  The
following is the monthly update for August 2006.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our website at
www.lapdonline.org as it has recently been redesigned and updated.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

One of the most difficult jobs of any law enforcement organization is to
build trust with a skeptical public.  By its very nature, policing is a job
of enforcement.  Cops are considered bad guys because they force people to
follow the law.  While what we do doesn’t always make for good public
relations, our job is vital to preserving a free democratic society.

Everyday, the men and women of this Department are working hard to foster
and gain the trust of the communities we work with.  Through a commitment to
transparency and positive institutional change the Department continues to
restore community confidence in the LAPD and markedly reduce crime.  These
changes would not have been possible without a workforce comprised of
civic-minded individuals committed to best practices in policing.

But to truly fulfill our vision to make LA the safest big city in the
nation, I need more talented, hard working, dedicated cops.  Over the past
several years my goals for the Department have remained the same – reduce
crime and the fear it instills, fully implement the Consent Decree, and
prevent and respond to acts of terrorism.  Now, I’m adding recruitment as my
4th goal.

Over the next five years, the LAPD will be hiring 1,000 recruits, beginning
with 650 new hires in fiscal year 2006/2007.  As we work to achieve
recruitment and other Department goals we must remember that community
partnerships built on trust will effect long-term social change in this
City. It is my belief that transparency in our day-to-day operations
inspires public support.  But transparency goes both ways.  We need to know,
in a way that is not filtered through the media, what the public thinks
about the job we are doing.

A few months ago the Department launched a new web-based tool to serve as a
window into the LAPD.  The LAPD Blog (LAPDBlog.org), an online, interactive
journal used to deliver real-time, unfiltered information, does a number of
things to promote transparency.  It allows us to respond to criticism or
misrepresentations without having our responses edited; it lets us gauge the
public’s pulse; and it encourages that two-way communication.

Since its May launch, the blog has had over a 100,000 visits, averaging
almost 2,000 daily.  In its brief existence, more than 500 comments have
been generated in response to Department postings.  The Department reviews
comments to ensure that they do not contain inappropriate remarks or
profanity and they do not appear on our web log until approved.

At the outset, the Blog’s primary purpose was to engage a local audience in
open dialogue about current events.  It has done that and more.  Throughout
the country and around the world—from the United Kingdom to Mexico—bloggers
are blogging

In May, for instance, a major counterfeiting-operation shutdown in Downtown
Los Angeles prompted a flurry of discussion. During the two-day raid,
officers seized $18.4 million worth of counterfeit designer-brand merchandise.

Regularly monitored by our command staff, sworn and civilian personnel, this
blog item prompted our own people to participate in the online discussion.
Deputy Chief Mark Leap, Commanding Officer, LAPD Counter Terrorism Bureau,
replied to a blogger who questioned the operation’s merit.  Deputy Chief
Leap wrote, “Since September 11th, law enforcement in general, not just the
LAPD, has linked counterfeit goods to terrorist funding… [These]
investigations have resulted in disruptions of [terrorist activities] and
should continue to be the focus of the LAPD.”

Another news item that generated many comments was the shooting of LAPD
Officer Kristina Ripatti on June 3.  Bloggers expressed concern, empathy,
and encouragement for Officer Ripatti, who suffered serious wounds after
being struck twice by gunfire.

Similarly, a Los Angeles Daily News editorial titled, “Lowered Standards,”
prompted rapid-fire dialogue.  The article referenced a proposal by
Councilman Bernard Parks. The policy sought to reinstate a zero-tolerance
mandate that would disqualify police officer candidates with any history of
drug use.

In this instance, the blog allowed me to comment on the proposed policy and
the subsequent Daily News article.  It gave me the opportunity to explain
that our standards have, in fact, increased—in many respects—but that we
have a practical and flexible hiring approach.  My response generated almost
30 comments.

The torrent of e-chatter truly testifies to the Blog’s success. Though the
Department reserves the right to withhold comments that contain profanity or
other inappropriate material, it does not shy away from posting criticism.

As the blog matures we will continue to expand its content, including
sections for each geographic area.  Transparency, whether through
television, radio, newspaper, our website LAPDonline.org or the LAPD Blog,
helps us to connect with people in the communities we protect and serve. As
we connect we are fostering trust and building the kinds of community
relationships and partnerships that we need to be a successful and respected
law enforcement organization.

MEDAL OF VALOR CEREMONY

On Wednesday, September 6, 2006, at 11:30 a.m., the Los Angeles Police
Department will present the Medal of Valor Awards, the Department’s highest
honor.  The Los Angeles Police Foundation and the Los Angeles Area Chamber
of Commerce will host the 45th Annual Medal of Valor Awards luncheon at the
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel located at 711 S. Hope Street. Tickets
for the luncheon may be purchased by the Police Foundation at (213)
489-4636.  The cost of this event is $65 per person and tables of ten may
also be purchased.

The Medal of Valor is awarded to officers who have distinguished themselves
with acts of bravery or heroism beyond the normal demands of police service.
 The actions of the officers receiving this honor, illustrates the type of
situations any Los Angeles Police Officer may face in the day-to-day
performance of their duties.

Those officers being honored are:
Sergeant Hector Feliciano, of the Office of Operations
Detective Richard Record, of Southwest Area
Officer Christopher Vasquez, of Northeast Area
Officer Carlos Figueroa, of Northeast Area
Officer Matthew Cundiff, of 77th Street Area
Officer Mario Cardona, of 77th Street Area
Officer Carlos Ocegueda, of Rampart Area
Officer Osvaldo Delgadillo, of Rampart Area
Officer Ralph Camarillo, of Rampart Area
Officer Laurissa Hulsebus, of Rampart Area
Officer Abel Muñoz, of Rampart Area
Officer Edwin Marron of West Valley Area
Officer Mark Mireles of West Valley Area

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of July 29, 2006

Homicide                                 Down           -7.4%
Rape                                     Down           -3.7%
Robbery                                  Up              7.4%
Aggravated Assault                       Down           -9.4%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                     Down           -1.9%

Burglary                                 Down           -9.1%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle              Down          -12.5%
Personal/Other Theft                     Down          -13.7%
Auto Theft                               Down          -10.8%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                    Down          -11.8%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                      Down           -9.7%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1