Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.  The
following is the monthly update for November 2006.  We hope you find the
information useful.  You are encouraged to continue to visit our website at
www.lapdonline.org.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

As I begin my fifth year as Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department, I
want to update you on the many projects and improvements that we have made
and ones we are considering for the future.  Although many of these are
still in the conceptual, design, or bidding phase, they represent the
forward thinking and progressive movement of the Department.  These projects
illustrate the Department’s efforts to embrace “best practices in policing,”
and encourage the men and women of the LAPD to continue their outstanding
work in making Los Angeles an even safer city.

Over the past year we have accomplished a lot to improve Department
Operations, take crime fighting into the 21st century, and improve officer
safety.  One successful and popular improvement has been the decision to use
selected models of the Glock semi-automatic pistol as an optional duty
weapon. I believe it’s a superior weapon and recruits in the academy are now
issued the 40-caliber Glock pistol.  Seventy percent of law enforcement
agencies nationwide use Glocks.  Although initially there was a problem with
the 45 caliber model not firing correctly, all 1,800 of that model purchased
by LAPD officers have been retrofitted and are now working well in the field.

As reported a few months ago, Training Division has 25 new state-of-the-art
Force Option Simulators.  Each geographic Area now has one and the Tactics
Unit has trained at least one Divisional Training Coordinator in each of the
19 geographic Areas and four Traffic Divisions.  Traffic Division personnel
will be able to use the simulators at the geographic Areas.  This is an
excellent example of the Department’s move toward a more decentralized
approach to training by providing opportunities at the officers’ assigned
Area or Division rather than at just two or three facilities across the City.

On the issue of the new LAPD flashlight, after extensive field testing of
prototypes, a vendor was selected and is currently working to mass-produce
the individual components for assembly.  The first delivery of approximately
4,300 flashlights is expected in December.  Training Division is currently
working on a distribution plan to get these new flashlights in the hands of
all LAPD officers and recruits.

In August, the Police Commission approved the Department’s request to move
forward with the purchase of new X26 TASER’s for field and Detective
personnel.  This new TASER model is 60 percent smaller and 60 percent
lighter than the model currently in use by the Department.  It can easily be
worn on the belt.  Having this tool readily available for use will help
reduce injuries to both officers and suspects.  The Department is currently
working on funding for the TASER’s while the Training Division is moving
ahead with plans for training and distribution.

Regarding the revised Vehicle Pursuit Policy and the use of the Pursuit
Intervention Technique or PIT maneuver, as of late September, more than
2,200 officers from all 19 geographic Areas and four Traffic Divisions have
been trained.  Training Division personnel are working with Bureau Training
Coordinators to ensure that all officers assigned to patrol are trained on
the PIT maneuver by this time next year.  Also relevant to the Vehicle
Pursuit Policy, a large number of officers assigned to patrol or traffic
functions have been trained in the deployment of the “Stop Stick” tire
deflation device.  From May 2005 through August 2006, there have been 20
successfully implemented PIT maneuvers that have stopped potentially
dangerous pursuit situations before becoming a threat to the public.  Also
during that time frame there have been eight successful deployments of the
“Stop Stick.”

On the issue of In-Car Digital Video, the City Council has given the
Department the go ahead to install the system in all patrol vehicles in
South Bureau.  We hope to select a vendor by the end of this year, and have
all South Bureau patrol vehicles equipped by the end of fiscal year June
2007.  Ultimately, and depending on funding, we anticipate outfitting patrol
vehicles in each geographic Bureau at a rate of one Bureau per year.  In-Car
Digital Video ensures transparency, accountability, and officer integrity,
and will provide concrete evidence for officers being investigated on
allegations of misconduct.

Another technology project approved by the City Council is the automatic
License Plate Recognition System.  Money has been set aside to outfit one
patrol vehicle per geographic Area. The system has the ability to scan,
recognize, and process the license plate numbers of several hundred cars in
a manner of seconds.

Technology is truly the key to increasing the Department’s effectiveness as
we continue to fight and reduce crime with limited resources.  Several pilot
programs are in the works relating to increasing technology available in
patrol vehicles, including the “Star Chase” electronic tracking system. This
pursuit management tool consists of a projectile launched from a patrol
vehicle-mounted device.  The projectile adheres to the suspect vehicle,
enabling police officers to monitor its location through a global
positioning system receiver, often reducing the need for a high-speed pursuit.

Yet another technology pilot project currently being tested in Southeast
Area is video downlink.  The system will connect patrol vehicles to
real-time video being recorded from surveillance cameras from around the
area.  This gives patrol officers situational awareness, providing them with
more information on which to base their decisions.  And in both Rampart and
Southeast Area, officers are testing facial-recognition technology.  This
program works by digitally capturing and analyzing facial images for
comparison and identification.

As I stated earlier, these projects were initiated to improve and position
the Department as leaders in the use of cutting edge technological
advancements.  When combined with the will and determination of the men and
women of this Department, we will have the tools needed to continue to
reduce crime.  Let’s face it, with too few Cops, we need cutting edge
technology to give us an edge on the criminals so that one day we will
achieve our goal of making Los Angeles the safest large city in America.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of November 28, 2006

Homicide                               Down            -4.3%
Rape                                   Down            -6.0%
Robbery                                Up               8.1%
Aggravated Assault                     Down            -8.6%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                   Down            -1.2%

Burglary                               Down            -8.1%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle            Down           -10.4%
Personal/Other Theft                   Down           -10.6%
Auto Theft                             Down            -8.8%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                  Down            -9.6%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                    Down            -7.8%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1