Greetings from the men and women of the Los Angeles Police Department.  The
following is the monthly update for March 2007.  We hope you find the
information useful.  We encourage you to continue to visit our website at
www.lapdonline.org.

LAPD IS HIRING

The Los Angeles Police Department is currently seeking the best and
brightest men and women to join our ranks.  The starting base salary for
high school graduates is $52,638.  With at least 60 college units, and an
overall GPA of 2.0 or better, the starting salary is $54,747.  Applicants
with a four-year BA or BS degree can start at $56,898.  If you are
interested, or if you know someone who might be, please visit our
recruitment website at www.joinlapd.com.

CHIEF’S MESSAGE

Since my appointment as Chief of Police in October 2002, the men and women
of this Department have worked together to reduce crime, and they have made
outstanding progress.  For the fifth year in a row, the Department has shown
significant decreases in crime in Los Angeles.  The per capita crime rate
for Part I crimes remained below the 1956 level for the second straight
year, and Los Angeles holds the distinction of being the second-safest big
city in the nation.  Many other large cities are now seeing a spike in
crime, while the men and women of this Department continue to keep crime at
historic lows.  The LAPD has made incredible strides toward regaining its
place as national and international leaders in law enforcement, and it also
has significantly improved relations with all the communities it serves.

Although the Department is making steady progress on our overall crime
reduction goals, gang-related crime is up.  Last year, crimes specifically
related to gangs increased by 15.7 percent Citywide.  That’s 1,046
additional gang-related crimes over 2005.  Those crimes include 12
additional homicides, 127 additional attempted homicides, 238 additional
felony assaults, and 494 additional robberies.  The Department’s efforts
over the years in determining what crimes are gang-related have been boosted
by our intelligence gathering capabilities and by our increasing use of
technology.  So as crime overall is reduced across the City, we now have the
ability to look at the different subsets that make up the total crime
picture, and what that picture shows is that gangs continue to be a major
contributor to crime in L.A.

Gang violence is an unfortunate reality for you, the people of Los Angeles.
 Recent headlines underscore this point, although it comes as no surprise to
anyone in law enforcement.  While Los Angeles is not alone in having a gang
problem – many other cities have L.A.-style gangs, though not on the same
scale – the difference for the Department now is that we can bring some of
our real-time analysis capability to bear on identifying the players and
addressing the issue head-on.  We’ve got significant intelligence and
tremendous street level experience.  As part of our renewed crime and gang
crime reduction efforts, we are going to focus our attention and resources
on certain gangs and individual high activity gang members in an effort to
get these predators off the streets of L.A.

The officers of the LAPD can be proactive and aggressive in targeting gangs
and still fulfill their sworn obligation to do so consistently,
compassionately and constitutionally.  And that is just what we are going to
do.  Every officer has had enough of going to crime scenes in the aftermath
of gang shootings, seeing the distraught families, and of being shot at,
disrespected and endangered. We are going to attempt, with our limited
resources, to turn the tide and make it increasingly difficult for these
murderers to operate their illegal drug fueled enterprises on our streets.

As I mentioned in last month’s message, the Department has already begun a
full-scale effort directed at the 204th Street Gang in the Harbor Gateway
area of the City.  We have also increased our efforts in the San Fernando
Valley, where gang crime and violence has been particularly prevalent,
showing an increase of 44 percent over last year.  (The gang crime numbers
in the Valley have been historically much lower than in the South and
Central Bureaus.)  Together with other local law enforcement agencies and
through significantly increased cooperative efforts with the Federal
government, the LAPD has started a new comprehensive set of initiatives
against the gang members with the highest levels of violent assaults against
cops and those involved in racial violence.  Los Angeles has been terrorized
by, victimized by, and made to fear these gangs for far too long.  Our new
initiatives are intended to stop the growth of gang crime we experienced
last year and to begin to reduce the overall levels of violence.

First, we will be launching the South Bureau Criminal Gang Homicide Group.
This new LAPD command will bring together over 100 of our most experienced
officers and detectives, three full time assistant district attorneys and
ten FBI agents.

Commander Pat Gannon has already been selected as the commanding officer and
is currently developing this entity.  This innovative organization will
focus exclusively on gang-related murders and attempted murders and use both
state and federal laws to prosecute, convict and incarcerate the gang
members who commit them.

Next we have designated Deputy Chief Gary Brennan as the Department’s Gang
Coordinator.  In addition to his Chief of Detectives responsibilities, he
will be the single point of contact for the Office of the Mayor, other
partner agencies and community groups.  He will be responsible for bringing
continuity, cohesion, and consistency to the Department’s overall
gang-reduction strategy, tapping into the funding and other resources we need.

The third initiative is the placing of an L.A. gang member on the FBI’s Ten
Most Wanted List.  The placement of criminal fugitives on the FBI’s list
represents the Department’s intention to arrest, prosecute, and incarcerate
L.A.’s most notorious gang criminals.  This is a big commitment from the
FBI.  The most wanted list is reserved for the worst criminals including the
likes of Osama bin Laden.  It demonstrates the FBI’s willingness to assist
in dismantling these gangs.

The Department is also parting with a long held tradition of not naming
gangs as part of our public planning and operations.  In the past it was
felt that naming them elevated their stature in the warped world in which
they live and operate.  Our top ten list of the most active and violent
gangs will change with some frequency as their activities diminish.  Bureau
Chiefs will keep the list updated to reflect changing priorities.

In addition, Operations Valley Bureau has already formed a special
enforcement group of over 50 officers, motor personnel, and supervisors who
will analyze real-time crime data and other information to rapidly and
strategically deploy officers in crime-ridden regions of the Valley.  They
will deploy in a variety of configurations including high-visibility patrols
and other, less traditional, covert means of apprehending violent criminals.

Citywide we are encouraging a strategy that will allow all patrol
officers—with appropriate training and oversight—to more routinely enforce
gang injunctions and serve arrest warrants on named gang members.  This
initiative is designed to take full advantage of our officer’s skills and
expertise and will increase the Department’s ability to protect law-abiding
citizens.  Our officers will be the key to our success in this effort by
helping to put a full court press on identified gang members.

While our officers are driving enforcement efforts on the street, our
command staff will continue to drive legislative efforts by educating State
legislators on the need for additional laws to back us up.

Based on our success in joint operations and task forces with other agencies
in the Homeland Security arena, we are teaming up in unprecedented ways to
share information, enhance relationships, and perform joint operations.
These joint operations include our partners from the L.A. County Sheriff’s
Department, the FBI, the U.S. Marshal, the ATF, the Drug Enforcement Agency,
State Parole, County Probation, LA Unified School District Police, and other
law enforcement organizations.   Since early February, this has already
resulted in the arrest of two gang members from our own top ten list.

Since so much of our city is gripped with fear when it comes to gangs, we
are going to work aggressively to get the word out through publications and
seminars that this gang problem is not insurmountable.  We can and will work
with you to make your lives more livable by consistently reducing the threat
posed by gang violence in your neighborhoods and by improving our efforts to
get information from you to help us make arrests.

We are capable of making a difference in this long-standing community
problem that has cost so many lives and caused so much misery and
divisiveness over the past few decades.  I am confident that the men and
women of the LAPD will rise to the occasion and deliver on the promise we
are making to you, the hard working, law-abiding residents of the City of
Los Angeles to reduce the threat of gang violence that they live under each
day.

We have reduced overall Part One crime and homicides by over 30 percent
during the past five years and I believe we can do the same with gang
related crime.

CRIME STATISTICS  - CITY-WIDE

Year to Date as of March 3, 2007

Homicide                                Down            -28.9%
Rape                                    Down            -29.5%
Robbery                                 Down             -6.7%
Aggravated Assault                      Down             -9.9%
TOTAL VIOLENT CRIMES                    Down             -9.2%

Burglary                                Down             -2.6%
Burglary/Theft from Vehicle             Up                5.9%
Personal/Other Theft                    Down            -10.2%
Auto Theft                              Down             -0.4%
TOTAL PROPERTY CRIMES                   Down             -1.6%

TOTAL PART 1 CRIMES                     Down             -3.2%

WILLIAM J. BRATTON
Chief of Police

To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click on this link
http://listserv.lacity.org/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=lapd_monthly&A=1